Doctor Strange | Teen Ink

Doctor Strange

By arjun_narayan319 BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania
arjun_narayan319 BRONZE, Wexford, Pennsylvania

"Men are still Good. We fight, we kill, we betray one another, but we can rebuild. We can do better. We will. We have to." - Bruce Wayne/Batman, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

The world needs heroes. And we've got them. A billionare has turned into man made of metal, fighting to save us all. A scientist, changed by his own experiment, who turns into a "obnoxious green rage monster" to destroy the world's greatest threats. A god sent down from a kingdom far away, protecting us from the threats that can capsize our society and planet. A man, clad in our nation's finest colors, preserving our values across the world. A teenager who climb walls. A crook who can shrink to the size of a paper clip. A king who is indestructible. A team fighting against the galaxy's greatest threats. And now, a doctor. Wait, is that right? A doctor? What's he going to do?

Doctor Strange, the newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, tells the origin of the titular hero, first in his days as an expert but cocky surgeon in the Big Apple. After a car accident that renders his hands useless and his career finished, Dr. Stephen Strange (Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch) travels around the US, blowing off all his money on new surgical techniques to cure his condition. When these techniques are found to be useless, and Strange is broke, he seeks out Jonathan Pangborn (24: Live Another Day's Benjamin Bratt) , a parapelgic who miracously recovered from his condition. Pangborn tells Strange to go to the ancient monastery of Kamar-Taj, in Nepal, where he will be forever changed. Once he reaches Kamar-Taj, he is reluctantly accepted by The Ancient One (Narnia's Tilda Swinton) and her second-in-command, Mordo (12 Years a Slave's Chiwitel Ejofor). The Ancient One (hereby referred to as TAO) shows him the mystical arts, and the psychodelic nature of it. After overcoming his narcissism, Strange becomes an increasingly gifted sorcerer, surpassing expectations of Mordo and TAO. He studies the ancient library of Kamar-Taj, with help from Relic Keeper Wong (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon's Benedict Wong). He studies the mystic art of Time, which leads him to find out about the theft of some missing pages in the book of Time (not actual name) by Kaecilius(Casino Royale's Mads Mikkelsen) , a former pupil of the Ancient One, who turned against her. Strange finds the true hero in himself when he, Mordo, TAO, and Wong go up against Kaecilius and his dastardly plan to release the world-destroying being, Dormmamu. 

Doctor Strange is a worthy addition to the MCU, for two main reasons. First, the performances and characters. Benedict Cumberbatch gives an amazing performance as the Sorcerer Supreme, giving nuance and levity in just the right moments for his character. He truly looks and IS the Doctor. Ejofor also astounds as Mordo, who I thought was a very understated, but also very interesting character to watch. I cannot wait to see where Mordo goes in future movies, because of Ejofor's performance and his characterization. Furthermore, Mikklesen does well with what he is given in the movie, albeit not much, while Wong (as Wong) is a great source of humor in the film. 

Finally, the direction and CGI were amazing in this movie. Scott Derrickson (of Sinister fame) was a risky choice, as Sinister was not a great movie in my opinion, but he truly delivers a great film for the audiences. His great wide camera angles and suspenseful direction make the film a treat to watch. The CGI and effects were also very good in the movie. With buildings and cars and roads being folded and twisted with each other, the effects made it look believeable and real. My brain as truly taken for a ride with this movie. 

While the movie excels in a lot of ways, there are some problems. Kaecilius is a good villian, better than most in the MCU, but his motivations were convoluted and confusing after watching the movie two times in preparation for this review. He had very eye popping action sequences and dialogue, but his characterization ultimately fell flat. This movie was also not very structurally original in its storytelling, with a cookie-cutter format for MCU films. Hero has accident, hero trains with new powers, hero discovers villain with world-ending plot, hero fights villain in CGI battle fest. While it is very exciting to see still, I hope Marvel switches the formula up in the forthcoming movies.

All in all, Doctor Strange is a fun, vibrant, and exciting film with great characters and performances, great direction and CGI, but is hurt by an unoriginal plot and lackluster villain. 

9/10