The Shawshank Redemption | Teen Ink

The Shawshank Redemption

April 13, 2016
By Aspire_2.0 SILVER, Tirana, Other
Aspire_2.0 SILVER, Tirana, Other
5 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Intelligence, mystery, friendship, commitment. time, patience, and loyalty. Tim Robbins brought out all these themes in his acting as main character Andy Dufresne. A slim white average man that was convicted, and sentenced to Shawshank Penitentiary for being said to murder his wife and her lover. Is he innocent? This is the million dollar question that is yet to be answered.


Shawshank Penitentiary is a fictional Maine State prison. All the rooms, all the space, and all the people allow the movie to progress in its own ways. The rooms provide a private area where you are out of sight from guards and maybe other inmates. The space allows availability for starting ideas, trading materials, and sneaking wanted objects into the prison. The inmates themselves are what bring the movie together. Inmates make it very challenging for other people, they cause sadness, pain, and ignorance. Niki Marvin, the main producer makes sure to get all the emotions within the inmates.


There are scenes where the acting is dull. It is awkward at times, confusing, and that can set an audience off. For example, when Andy Dufresne is offering to help save the police guards money, he was too calm in his acting, even though in that scene Dufresne was about to get thrown off a roof. Stiffness can be a problem with making the movie boring and repetitive in a way that makes you feel like you just watched the same part over and over again.


Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, and Bob Gunton. All highly professional actors that put their real life aside as soon as they get on a set. Every character in Shawshank had specific traits that makes them stand out, even if they were secondary characters. Morgan Freeman played the character Red. Red was a man who can get things into shawshank, it ranges between a pack of cigarettes to a hammer. Freeman made Red calm, no matter what happened the character stayed in its place. Quiet, and mysterious because he was just there, helped people out, avoided problems, and even befriended a couple of guards. Bob Gunton played the warden. A religious and strict man who believe more in the bible then anything else in his life, including the inmates he looks after.


The Shawshank Redemption is a great drama that brings forth all types of emotions, characters, and scenes into play. It uses actors that really value the film and make it what it was, inspiring, sad, happy, mysterious, and simple. Simplicity is what made it great.