Jurassic World | Teen Ink

Jurassic World

By SilverRainbow SILVER, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
SilverRainbow SILVER, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin

The enormous teeth of indominus rex fill the screen. The mighty dinosaur roars over the sound of desperate screaming, and the camera pans to a fresh pool of blood.

The park…has been reopened.

On June 12, “Jurassic World,” the fourth installment of the “Jurassic Park” series, was released in theaters. Let’s be real. Any movie involving both dinosaurs and Chris Pratt is going to be fantastic, and this film does not disappoint.

The premise of the movie is centered on a theme park called Jurassic World. However, this theme park is no Disney Land. The main attraction is dinosaurs. People can watch the deadly mosasaurus leap out of the water like an orca, journey through fields of apatosauruses or ride a baby triceratops. Despite how extraordinary a dinosaur theme park is, the public wants more. Soon a genetically modified dinosaur, made from an unknown mixture of dinosaur DNA, is created, and the terrifying indominus rex is born. Indominus rex escapes, and chaos ensues.

While the film took a while to get into the dinosaur killing spree everyone wants to see, the intense action is worth the wait. The acting was great, and the details put into the park, like the people toting dinosaur merchandise and the thought put in the attractions, added a sense of realism. Many moviegoers were also impressed by the CGI.

“I loved the animation of ‘Jurassic World,’ it seemed like the dinosaurs were actually real,” communications junior Stella said. “I also liked the special effects and graphics that were used throughout the movie to give you a realistic and terrifying dino-packed experience.”

This movie does an excellent job building suspense. You’ll find yourself on the edge of your seat as the indominus rex sniffs the truck the protagonists’ are hiding behind. You’ll get chills as the iconic “Jurassic Park” theme plays, and you’ll find your heart pounding at every scene.

The best part of the movie was undoubtedly the brutal deaths. At one point, a pteranodon swoops the nanny Zara into the air and then drowns her in a lake as she screams. Suddenly, the mosasaurus jumps out of the water and swallows Zara along with the pteranodon. It was by far the most disturbing death in the entire “Jurassic Park” series.

A prominent character is Claire, the park operations manager. She doesn’t view dinosaurs as living creatures and doesn’t even know the age of her own nephews. To be honest, she embodied a lot of sexist stereotypes about career-driven women—controlling, overly ambitious and cold. Two other central characters were Claire’s nephews, the brothers Zach and Gray. A lot of attention was focused on them, but they weren’t central to the plot. Gray was sweet and lovable, but Zach was so mean to his little brother that I wanted him to get eaten by the indominus rex the entire movie. Another big character is Owen, the charming velociraptor handler. Owen’s scenes were either action-packed or full of witty one-liners. One nice thing about the cast is that there was a lot of racial diversity.

An issue with the film was that the storyline was very predictable. I found myself accurately inferring what would happen next. None of the plot twists took me by surprise. Also, the romance between Owen and Claire was unnecessary. People were being killed in the background, yet the characters shared a kiss. I liked their relationship, so this isn’t a major complaint. However, this is not the kind of movie you’d expect to have a semblance of romance. One could also argue that the storyline is recycled from “Jurassic Park” but hey, “Jurassic Park” is so good that I don’t mind a similar story.

It’s noteworthy that a sequel is in the works, because antagonist Henry Wu escaped with a case of dinosaur embryos. This might tie in with the “Jurassic World” subplot of using dinosaurs as weapons of war.

The final scenes of the film were amazing. Claire lures the tyrannosaurus rex to fight the indominus rex. Teaming up with a velociraptor, the tyrannosaurus knocks the indominus rex down. Suddenly, the mosasaurus springs up and drags the indominus rex under the water in an epic conclusion. The last shot is the tyrannosaurus roaring as the “Jurassic Park” theme swells.

Overall, “Jurassic World” was an entertaining film that blended elements of horror, sci-fi and bits of humor perfectly. Although it had a few flaws, it’s great for a wide variety of ages, and is a hit movie even bigger than the tyrannosaurus herself.

The Jurassic Park franchise is one of my favorites, and I wanted to share my opinion.

on Jul. 11 2015 at 4:44 pm
BananaBriana GOLD, Bunker Hill, West Virginia

"Why assume that to look is to see?" ~Piccasso

This was awesome! I've seen the movie twice, and you accurately described it. I am on your side with how amazing the "Jurassic Park" movies have been and I hope they make more. I love your writing style!

on Jun. 22 2015 at 4:47 pm
Richcoca PLATINUM, Canoga Park, California

Make as many as mistakes as you want, just don't make the same mistake.

It's pretty on point. The Tyrannosaurus Rex defeating the Indominus Rex sparked emotional responses as the crowd NEEDED to see their childhood favorite win. Your writing is pretty good. Hope you'll check mine out as well: TeenInk.com/poetry/sonnet/article/808811/The-Prickle-Bush/