Poseidon Rex | Teen Ink

Poseidon Rex

April 25, 2015
By BecksJ GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey
BecksJ GOLD, Teaneck, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine your worst nightmare. You're being chased by some hideous goon or you're jumping off a 100ft cliff into a deep abyss. You awake sweaty, shaken, and clearly disturbed; you settle down because you realize it was just a dream and you eventually fall back to sleep. The only escape you have is waking up. For a movie lover like myself, a nightmare comes in the form of a terribly made film: the acting is insipid, the cinematography is elementary, and the musical score is repetitive. Poseidon Rex, a 2013 action/science fiction film, was my nightmare, and I have yet to escape it.


When a group of deep sea divers accidentally awaken a aquatic Tyrannosaurus Rex, a small island off the coast of Belize is suddenly under attack. The movie follows a group of people as they attempt to fight this amphibious leviathan and escape from it simultaneously.


After reading the plot, my interest was piqued; I was soon disappointed. Let me begin with the acting; actors are supposed to animate a story so the viewers can understand and enjoy that said story. The central characters/actors spout out cliché after cliché and the incessant banal ,”What do we do?” To be concise, because I still want you to see this movie, the group of central characters/actors  dwindles down to two, and not to the two most relevant characters or most talented actors, but to the characters who had the most premature relationship and unconvincing acting. There was even one scene, and I think this has to do more with the movie’s script than the actors, when someone says, “"We were not safe indoors! Run out in the open!!!".


The graphics were rudimentary; the movie was made in late 2012 and early 2013 but looked as if it were made the day before its set release. Spielberg's dinosaurs in Jurassic Park looked better than the T-Rex here, but it is clear to see that the film’s entire budget was spent on this Poseidon Rex.


Finally, the soundtrack. The movie had one song throughout. It wasn’t like the song had any renditions, but it was the upbeat, handclapping  song, “Como Te Llama'”, that was appropriate for upbeat scenes, but not when the characters were being chased by the P-Rex.


My favorite part of the movie was the movie poster; it was not even in the movie, which adds to the reason I liked it. Sorry director Mark Lester, but next time you make a movie try to evenly distribute the budget. For those of you who are curious as to why I feel a strong dislike, and minor pity, towards this movie, go ahead and watch it. You might be able to pull me out of this nightmare, if you don’t get stuck yourself.