My Sister's Keeper | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper

By prolixity GOLD, Iloilo City, Other
prolixity GOLD, Iloilo City, Other

Even the tallest and most lofty trees have the most reason to dread the thunder.

A Strand of Fallen Hair

Wanted: kidney donor.

“Sometimes to get what you want the most, you have to do what you want the least.”, quoted Jodi Picoult, Author of the novel ‘My Sister’s Keeper’.

A scale holding life and death contains the most difficult decision to be ever made. Being able to watch the film My Sister’s Keeper, I was definitely moved. It’s a story of a savior sibling, Anna Fitzgerald, whose purpose in life is to donate whatever her sister, Kate, who suffers from acute leukemia, needs. To bleed. To hurt. To suffer. Do you have the courage to see your sibling go through pain? Will you take the risk of giving up your life to be able to save another one’s? Though you were made for that purpose, you still have the right to live and make your own choices. Life is what we make it, and not what we were made for.

Cancer has been a cause of numerous deaths around the globe. No action has been implemented on formulating a cure for this illness. Once grasped by the disease, there is a 50% chance of surviving. The only method used to minimize the death rate is chemotherapy which on the other hand, also has its own side effects. As a reaction, I have always been mesmerized by those who plan to create a cure for cancer. It fuels up the mindset of finally decreasing the number of deaths caused by cancer.

I have heard so many people saying that they are willing to get into the business of cancer treatments. Alongside, these many people have ended up being in a field not related to treatments. They’ve embarked themselves into a different interest. As a result, no one is left to continue on pursuing the cure for cancer.

What about the cancer patients? What about those who bleed and those who feel pain? It has always been very piercing to know that cancer victims don’t get the life they want. In ‘My Sister’s Keeper’, the family had to disguise themselves as though they were bald in order to relieve Kate’s feelings after chemotherapy. It’s a sacrifice people should make whenever such times occur.

Science has yet to prevail. The quest for finding a treatment is still held within the scientific hands. To search for a cure for cancer is a must and should. It’s an achievement which will heal one’s soul and the hearts of many. It’s the answer for cancer which we await to find. It’s the suffering which we aspire to end.

on Aug. 11 2014 at 5:41 pm
juliehugbear BRONZE, Deltona, Florida

dont cry because its over smile because it happened

me to that just killed me :(

prolixity GOLD said...
on Aug. 9 2014 at 1:14 pm
prolixity GOLD, Iloilo City, Other

thanks! i loved the part when the mother had to shave off her hair for her daughter. :(

on Aug. 9 2014 at 1:12 pm
juliehugbear BRONZE, Deltona, Florida

this is very true when i watched the movie this is what i grasped from it