the Avengers | Teen Ink

the Avengers

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

It's 2012, and the world is quiet. For a split-second. Those who watched the after-the-trailer clip in Thor know that S.H.I.E.L.D. has possession of the Tesseract, it's in a safe facillity, no problems, right? WRONG! Because the Tesseract has just been stolen by Loki (Tom Hiddleston), right out from under Nick Fury's (Samuel L. Jackson's) nose. And it gets better! Loki took Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and several other agents with him. And the SHIELD head-quarters collapsed. So Fury's left with only a handful of agents, including Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johanassen), and the hope of the Avengers initiative. And who would these Avengers be? Captain America, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Thor, (Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Mark Ruffalo, and Chris Hemsworth.) Black Widow, and Hawkeye. But in between skirmishes with Loki's henchmen and alien-invaders, the Avengers can hardly keep off each other's throats. But the invasion isn't going to wait for them to straightened out before blowing up NYC.

The good stuff:
Working together is the principle theme of the entire movie. When Loki proclaims himself 'a god', Hulk takes a moment to test how well 'a god' can heal when slammed into linoleum floor. He walks away saying "Puny god."
In an encounter with Thor, Natasha tells Captain America not to get involved, stating that the Asgardians "are practically gods", to which he replies: "There's only one God, ma'am,". Most deaths are non-graphic, the only exception being an agent's Boromir-like death. In every battle the heroes put themselves in harm's way to protect others, including a mild, normal people. Thor is still willing to forgive Loki, and take responsibility for his younger brother's actions.

The bad stuff:
Black Widow has her jacket zipped up just enough for a little cleavage to show, and Pepper wears tight-fitting short-shorts while drinking with Tony. Thor comments that he thought that humans were more evolved (Marvel's kissing up for Cap's quote). Tony asks Banner if his secret to staying calm is Marijuana, and after Banner turns into the hulk, he appears in the demolished ruins of a building in the *cough* (looks away(though sensitive areas are not shown). Loki seems to 'possess' the people he taps with his spear. It is stated that Loki killed 80 people in two days. Thick launguage, including "Quim", which I just found out is a swear word. I apologize to all those who heard me say it.

Over-all, I'd give this a two-and a half/three out of five. Don't understand how five year olds are allowed to watch it, but sae-la-vi-modern.