Dead Poets Society | Teen Ink

Dead Poets Society MAG

Before going to see this movie, I expected light, witty dialogue combined with the lively talent of Robin Williams. Robin Williams portrays Mr. Keating, an unconventional English teacher, who teaches in a northeastern prep school. This school emphasizes tradition, molding the boys into young professionals. This is contrasted with Robin Williams' unorthodox teaching methods. Through his classes, the boys realize they can control their own destinies. He shows them great poetry is not learned from a textbook, but from their souls.

Robin Williams is not the central character, as I had expected. This film focuses on the boys. Robert Sean Leonard plays Neil, an inspired individual, whose father carves his future for him. Ethan Hawke plays Todd, a shy, young man lacking self-confidence, whose hidden talents are revealed by Mr. Keating. This film emphasizes thinking for one's self, not accepting external restrictions. The movie is laced with a tragedy so unexpected,I had to blink twice.

This is an uplifting film, and even if you hate poetry, you will adore Robin Williams. Tears will come to your eyes as you witness the boys' realization that they can't stay boys forever and must face the disappointments of adulthood.

DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
I LOVE THIS REVIEW. I have seen this movie and I adore it and i like your interpretation of it. Its so true and im glad that you caught the true essence of the movie! Good job. I wouldnt b surprised if i found a review by u in the new york times one day!