Misery | Teen Ink

Misery MAG

This movie is rated R. No one under 17 will be admitted unless accompanied by an adult

"Misery" is the film adaptation of Stephen King's 1987 best-seller, which produced $20.1 million at the box office in its first two weeks.

When I saw this movie, I understood why it was called "Misery." Kathy Bates, who plays the role of the psychotic protagonist, Annie Wilkes, has, in my opinion, real potential. In the movie she rescues the romance novelist, Paul Sheldon (played by James Caan) from a car accident. She then brings him to her house to nurse him back to health. Annie Wilkes claims to be Sheldon's number one fan and is in love with his writing. But as the movie progresses we find that she is obsessed and is truly in love with Sheldon himself. Sheldon, who is locked up in his room and stuck in bed all day because of badly injured legs, is totally spooked by this weird lady who calls him Mr. Man. He attempts to escape a number of times, but his attempts fail. And since Annie's real intention is to keep Sheldon to herself forever, she has no choice but to use a sledgehammer to slam his ankles.

I think "Misery" is the strangest movie I have ever seen - but it was worth seeing. What happens in the end should please most people. If you're the kind of person who doesn't like to see violence or torture, or if you don't like getting spooked, then don't see this movie, because I'm quite sure that once you do, you're going to have a pretty hard time trying to get Annie Wilkes' face out of your mind.

Banpire said...
Banpire, Homosassa, Florida

"I can't relate to 99% of humanity." ♥ Seymour (Steve Buscemi) in Ghost World

The book was definitely more powerful and terrifying than the movie, but I felt like the movie did it some justice. Bates made the film.

Wolfen said...
on Aug. 11 2010 at 7:36 am
Wolfen, Prineville, Oregon
I love that book and the the movie. King is awsome and creepy like the redrum creepy.