The Godfather Iii | Teen Ink

The Godfather Iii MAG

By Anonymous

   This movie is rated R. No one under 17 will be admitted unless accompanied by an adult



The first Godfather movie was the best gangster movie ever made and "The Godfather Part II" was the best sequel to an original movie ever made. I am a big fan of both films, so when "The Godfather Part III" was playing at my local theater, I had to see it. I'll admit that I was a bit skeptical, however. Sequels usually aren't that good and the first two movies were so good, I couldn't imagine another film coming even close to their level. But I can honestly say that "The Godfather Part III" is the best sequel to a sequel ever made.

This movie takes place many years after the last one, 1979, to be exact. The story begins with scenes of the now deserted Corleone home where much of the previous movie took place. Michael has moved to New York City and is receiving an award from the Catholic bishop for his charity work. The first fifteen minutes introduces the important characters: Mary and Anthony Corleone, Michael's now grown children, Vincent Mancini, son of Michael's brother, Sonny (killed in the original movie) and Connie, Mike's sister. Other characters include Kay, Mike's former wife, mafia boss Joey Zaza, several elderly mafiosi, and Corleone's lawyer, played by George Hamilton.

There are several interesting and exciting story lines: Anthony's quitting law school to become an opera singer, Vincent's conflict with Joey Zaza (which Michael, without wanting to, becomes involved in) and Vincent's romance with his first cousin Mary (which I found unpleasant, but that's a different story). Michael is involved in a deal with the Vatican, which would put him in charge of a large part of the Catholic Church's finances. He wants to leave his dark past behind him and keep the deal legitimate, but the whole thing doesn't sit well with some mafia fellows who begin to plot against his life. The second half of the movie takes place in Italy and Sicily.

I thought that this was a terrific movie, right on par with the other two in the series. The acting was great, especially Al Pacino. If he doesn't win an Oscar for this role, I'll never go to the movies again (well, maybe that's an exaggeration). Andy Garcia as Vincent was the film's best newcomer. Talia Shire as Connie was powerful and spooky. The only thing wrong with this movie was Sofia Coppola as Mary. She was distracting, unconvincing and a poor actress.

The story is shot in dark but rich tones that reflect the mood of the underworld. The scenes of violence are shocking, powerful and graphic, so if you can't stand blood, look away when you see it coming. The gangster's view of honor, family and revenge are excellently portrayed and the ending is unforgettable. "The Godfather Part III" is the best film of the year and I highly recommend it.