A Knight's Tale | Teen Ink

A Knight's Tale

He Will Rock You!
In A Knight's Tale, Heath Ledger stars as William Thatcher, a young peasant squire who dreams of nothing more than becoming a knight in a world where only those of knightly ancestry are allowed to become one. Determined and hot headed, William seizes the opportunity he's awaited since childhood when his knightly master dies during a jousting tournament and secretly steps into the competition in his place, winning the well needed prize money so that he and his two friends will not starve. This gives William the idea that he will be able to compete again in further jousting competitions with the right amount of training and the aide of his friends Roland (Mark Addy) and Wat (Alan Tudyk) so that by the end of the month he is ready to joust under the phony name, Sir Ulrich von Lichtenstein of Gelderland. While on their way to their first tournament they come across the path of a naked man walking down the road - Geoffrey Chaucer (Paul Bettany), who literally lost his clothes through gambling. He strikes a deal with the trio and the talented writer (Bettany) creates a new identity for William, as Sir Ulrich Von Lichtenstein of Gelderland through way of documents. At his first tournament, William encounters and falls in love with a beautiful lady called Jocelyn (Shannyn Sossamon). However, William has an unkindly rival for both Jocelyn and the joust, in the cold and cunning Count Adhemar (Rufus Sewell). William then sets forth on a mission to defeat Adhemar and to win Jocelyn with the help of his 'squires' Roland (Addy) and Wat (Tudyk), Chaucer his 'herald' (Bettany), and the lady farrier Kate (Laura Fraser). But this is a great risk for only those of noble birth can compete in the tournament and disaster is a unvarying threat if William's true heritage is revealed. This delightful and comic movie is very jovial and well planned, all of the characters are rather agreeable and each has their own sense of personality. The plot is very enthralling and fascinating, it leaves you wanting more and wondering what is going to happen next. Heath Ledger, as always, does a remarkably well performance as the charming and valiant William Thatcher, the peasant who was not afraid to change the stars. This is a very awe-inspiring movie with very exciting twists and incredible acting on all of their parts. I literally smiled throughout the whole entire film. This film is no classic historical movie, for it is very unique in its very own ways.

T said...
on Nov. 17 2008 at 8:51 pm
THAT was so awesome, Britt! I am proud of you!