The Saint | Teen Ink

The Saint MAG

By Anonymous

   Val Kilmer, who plays "The Saint," has given us one more amazing performance to add to his credits. It seems that any movie Kilmer is involved in, no matter how bad the plot is, will be a success because of his ability to draw the audience's attention to his acting. This was demonstrated in "Tombstone" and "Batman Forever." In "The Saint," Kilmer is accompanied by an equally amazing performance by Elisabeth Shue, and a plot that doesn't need any help.

Kilmer plays an independent international spy, who uses disguises and pseudonyms to fool his pursuers. He is hired by the Russian mafia to steal a formula from an American scientist, Dr. Emma Thompson, played by Elisabeth Shue. The formula is for a new idea called cold fusion. This would be an inexpensive process, by which ordinary sea water would be used to produce large amounts of energy. At the time Russia is suffering from an oil drought and needs an alternative resource.

A Russian revolutionary hires Kilmer to steal the formula from Dr. Thompson, but Kilmer runs into a problem when he realizes he is falling in love with her. He becomes dedicated to helping her escape and protecting the formula from the villians.

Val Kilmer wins over the audience as he flaunts his ability to take on a diverse range of characters by mastering each personality and accent. He also gives a slight hint of comedy when the movie starts to become too serious. Elisabeth Shue is a perfect complement to Kilmer's character. She fulfills her role as a genius, a hero, and a damsel in distress. The duo has teamed up to create an excellent movie. Although many critics have labeled this movie as a failure, it has the acting and the plot to be a box office hit