Skyfall | Teen Ink

Skyfall

By NatalieZat BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
NatalieZat BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

With the flair of trumpets, viewers are instantly captivated as the blurred silhouette makes its appearance across the enormous screen. It’s Bond. James Bond. Skyfall’s 2013 release marked the 50th anniversary of Bond films. Skyfall encompasses all of the Bond movie must-haves: a shiny car, an insidious woman, and a multitude of fight scenes. Exceptional cinematography accentuates everything from the gleam of vintage paint on the 1964 Aston Martin DB5 to each stoic glance cast from Daniel Craig’s ice blue eyes. The first opening scene takes away the invincibility associated with Bond from the previous films. Skyfall brings back the vincibility described in Ian Fleming’s original character by not only severely injuring him in the first scene, but also by showing the effects of the taxing lifestyle Bond lives. Failing the physical and mental examinations removes the superhero-like façade and channels the rugged Bond described in the books. The newest addition to Bond’s infinite repertoire of stunning, yet forgettable women is Severine. Her character is intriguing, however, lacks character development and is eliminated shortly after her introduction. Another new female lead in the film proves more stationary; quipped with whit and sensuality, Eve, also known as Miss Moneypenny, is introduced in Skyfall. At 143 minutes long, it is the longest Bond movie ever created. The final fight scene was a total of 73 minutes long and seemed endless with a total of 4 explosions and countless shootouts. Skyfall also lacks the variety of scenery and weather seen in Casino Royale (2006). While the movie reflects London’s dismal weather perfectly, the constant rain and cloud coverage seen throughout the movie project an impending feeling of gloominess onto viewers. The movie subsumes all of the traditional components in the series without becoming predictable. With all factors considered, Skyfall is a fantastic film and ensures that the love of Bond lives on.