The Perks of Being A Wallflower | Teen Ink

The Perks of Being A Wallflower MAG

October 9, 2013
By MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
MonicaJanvier PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
23 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Have you ever sat in the back of the room so you wouldn't be noticed? Do you observe things that no one else sees? Perhaps, then, you can relate to Charlie in “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.”

Released in 2012, this teen movie was directed by Stephen Chbosky, who wrote the novel as well.
Charlie (Logan Lerman) is a traumatized high-schooler prone to flashbacks who believes nobody knows he exists. Over the course of the movie we watch him grow out of his shell and make friends, improve his future, find his first love, and realize that he is important.

This fun and thrilling movie has a talented cast including Emma Watson, Ezra Miller, Nina Dobrev, and Mae Whitman. Watson plays Sam, an outgoing, multi-talented sweetheart who struggles to realize the amount of love that she deserves. Her step-brother and best friend is Patrick (Miller), the class clown who is gay but hides it because he's afraid of not being accepted. The two welcome Charlie into their clique as they help him cope with the loss of his best friend, who recently committed suicide. Chbosky clearly and accurately develops these characters using small details so teens can relate to them. Each is given such a distinctive personality that you forget it's just a movie.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” is not a stereotypical teen drama. Instead, it's an emotional film that shows both the dark and bright sides of being a teenager, and explores issues of romance, bullying, peer pressure, schoolwork, and popularity.
Songs such as “Heroes” by David Bowie and “Could It Be Another Change” by The Samples add to the film. Memorable quotes such as “We are infinite” and “We accept the love we think we deserve” make this film unique. Each character makes you see the world from a new perspective.

“The Perks of Being a Wallflower” will leave you in tears and wishing it didn't have to end.


The author's comments:
I hope after people read this review, they will understand how amazing and unique this movie is.