Scott Pilgrm vs. the World | Teen Ink

Scott Pilgrm vs. the World

By Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other

The 2010 film ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. the World’ appears to have the viewers divided. This prominent gulf lies between those with impeccable taste in films and those who obviously have intolerance to film-perfection. To say that this film delivers on every level would be an understatement to the highest degree. The audience have been provided with the complete recipe for success which consists of: a spoonful of inspired casting, a pinch of romance and scoops of first-rate comedy all finished with a glaze of dynamism. There is no opportunity for the feeling of boredom to arise during this instant classic. The cast boasts the likes of Michael Cera, an ageless favourite, who has starred in previous comedies such as ‘Superbad’. The film sees the reunion of Cera and Mae Whitman who both starred in the cherished comedy series ‘Arrested Development’. Endearing and quirky Scott Pilgrim is flawlessly portrayed by Cera who suits the role perfectly. The film sees this lovable character fall for the mystifying Ramona V. Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead). However, as epitomised by the words of Flowers herself, “We all have baggage.” Scott’s quest for love was inevitably going to be challenging; he soon discovers this when he is met with his first complication. Many lovesick teens within films are faced with numerous difficulties in regards to the pursuit of love and Scott is no exception. This is not to say that this gem falls into the category of cliché, the film radiates a sense of excitement and energy that is yet to be rivalled. The audience are invited on his tempestuous yet hilarious journey, as he tries to overcome these obstacles to win the affections of the enigmatic Ramona. One of these obstacles arrives in the form of Brandon Routh, who had the titular role in ‘Superman Returns’, he expertly fulfils the role of Todd Ingram. The vegan ex-boyfriend of Ramona instantaneously triggers a wave of chaos upon arrival whilst providing numerous moments of comedy.
Prior to my viewing of the film I will confess to a level of scepticism as I had heard many negative reviews. I was well and truly made to eat my words. There is an abundance of quotable moments which will leave you laughing and craving the film long after the final credits have rolled. For me this film was an instant favourite; admittedly I was surprised at my love of the film due to my usual aversion of lengthy films. Each minute of this 112 minute comedy left me wanting more. Director and writer Edgar Wright and writer Michael Bacall should be commended on this spectacular movie. Wright’s idea for the 8-bit Universal logo at the beginning of the film was a mark of true genius. This brilliance will be adored by all those who possess even an ounce of taste and have an appreciation for intricately crafted filmmaking. What’s not to love? ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. the World’ features everything that you could possibly desire in a film. The narrative of the film is thoroughly entertaining and has been skilfully laced with unique comedy, charming protagonists, stylistic CGI and a superlative shooting style. Arguably the tagline of the film embodies the brilliance that lays in store for you, I bid you farewell to go and watch “An Epic of Epic Epicness"

I watched this film and absolutely loved it, I can't praise it enough!