Les Miserables | Teen Ink

Les Miserables

By JackieH PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
JackieH PLATINUM, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Don't break character, you've got a lot of heart. ~ The Killers

The Academy Award sensation ‘Les Miserablé’ has the title of ‘America’s Favorite Musical’ and rightfully so. Aside from the beautifully written music, the focus-pulling sets, and detailed, accurate costumes the acting was well above phenomenal. You would never expect Hugh Jackman (X-Men’s Wolverine) to be a good singer but he has more pipes than the Camden Aquarium. You probably didn’t think Russell Crowe (Gladiator’s Maximus) would choose to sing a song about his life instead of sharpening a sword but he sure would! These actors had some big shoes to fill when they took the roles of Jean Valjean and Javert. They just made the shoes bigger. Other actors include Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried and Helena Bonham Carter.

This movie/musical follows Jean Valjean, played by Hugh Jackman, through his tough life from slavery to adopting father all while running from officer, Javert, played by Russell Crowe. Meanwhile, poverty in France is overwhelming and turning all citizens to thievery and war. The French Revolution is in full swing. What better way to express their anger than in song?

This almost three hour movie turns viewers into blubbering babies between character death and lost love. Emotional showtunes include the famous ‘I Dreamed A Dream’ and ‘One Day More.’ Les Mis had a plethora of nominations in the Academy Award, including Best Picture. Anne Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Fantine. Les Miserablé is available on Blu-Ray and DVD March 22, 2013 and is worth every penny.

I just really like this movie, okay?

on Sep. 7 2013 at 11:18 pm
StarSophia GOLD, Wauwatosa, WI, Wisconsin

“But it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it'll shine the clearer." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~ Jeremiah 29:11

“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” ~ Corrie Ten Boom

The night I got home from seeing Les Mis in the theater I literally couldn't stop thinking about it.  The story haunts you, inspires you, and makes you think.  The next morning I uploaded all the songs to my iPod and have been listening to them ever since!  Anyways, brilliant film, amazing acting, and incredible story.  

on Aug. 13 2013 at 1:26 pm
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

I'm actually listening to "one day more" right now! LOL!