Now You See Me | Teen Ink

Now You See Me MAG

July 5, 2013
By Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
Chloejournal DIAMOND, Devon, Other
68 articles 2 photos 7 comments

T his has undoubtedly been a momentous year for films. The silver screen has seen the dawning of “Man of Steel,” which sent Superman fans into a frenzy, and in this sense “Now You See Me” had a lot
to live up to. The standard was already set high because of this year's offerings, but “Now You See Me” doesn't disappoint. This crime thriller boasts a
star-studded cast, and the high production value is evident throughout. Ultimately, this makes for a winning combination.

The film follows the activity of four talented illusionists: J. Daniel Atlas (Jesse Eisenberg), Merritt McKinney (Woody Harrelson), Henley Reeves (Isla Fisher), and Jack Wilder (Dave Franco). Known as the Four Horsemen, they are relentlessly pursued by Agent Dylan Rhodes (Mark Ruffalo) as they use their skills to perform bank heists during on-stage shows.

The air of mystery and anticipation is sustained effectively throughout and is particularly evident in the fight scene and high-speed chase between Rhodes and magician Jack Wilder.

The audience feels every hit as the characters battle each other. Each scene displays high-octane drama skillfully executed by the actors, enhanced by a fast cutting pace that reinforces the momentum of the story.

“Now You See Me” boasts two treasured actors, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine, and is the fourth film in which the pair co-star. It also sees the onscreen reunion of Eisenberg and Harrelson, who both starred in the 2009 comedy-horror “Zombieland.” Eisenberg's performance as the charismatic J. Daniel Atlas is poles apart from the neurotic Columbus in “Zombieland”; this smooth-talker oozes self-assured charm.

Agent Rhodes is presented with the seemingly impossible task of pursuing and exposing the Four Horsemen. Ruffalo's performance is commendable; he convincingly illustrates the drama and emotion of this three-dimensional character faced with an enormous task.

Despite its 115-minute run time, the film provides no ­opportunity for a weary yawn of ennui. From the outset, the audience is confronted with a tapestry of mystery. Younger viewers will enjoy the remarkable CGI and the exciting action, while older audiences are provided with an intricate, engrossing narrative. The audience is indulged with frequent use of POV and helicopter shots, which illustrate the production value and adhere to the conventions of a crime thriller by catapulting the audience into the heart of the action.

“Now You See Me” is a truly “magical” experience for all to enjoy.


The author's comments:
I recently went to see this film and just needed to express how captivated I was.