Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day | Teen Ink

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day MAG

In a lot of ways “Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day” is like an adult version of “Mary Poppins,” mixing mature language and innuendo with a light plot and quirky characters that might as well be flying off rooftops with umbrellas.

Carrying itself as a stage ­production, the movie tells the tale of Guinevere Pettigrew, an ­unattractive, penniless ex-governess living in WWII London. Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) finds herself the social secretary of ditzy social climber Delysia (Amy Adams).

Delysia is torn between three men. The first, Phil (Tom Payne), is a wealthy producer who promises her the lead in a new play, and thus potential stardom. The second, Nick (Mark Strong), is wealthy club owner who only wants Delysia for her body. And finally there is Michael (Lee Pace), a sweet but poor pianist who loves her for who she is – even her petty, materialistic side.

As we follow Miss Pettigrew and Delysia’s misadventures in London, it’s difficult not to fall in love with the characters and settle into this charming period piece. Though the script is a bit cheesy and overdone at times, and the acting by some is barely satisfactory, the heart and enchantment are there – and that’s enough to keep you enthralled.

The film’s predictability can make it dull, but at these moments the slack is picked up by excellent performances by Adams, completely in her element as Delysia, and McDormand, who has never played a stuffy old woman better.

All in all the film is a good time and provides a few laughs.

on Oct. 22 2008 at 12:11 am
That's a great review! I'm horrible at writing reviews! I haven't seen the movie, but I kind of want to. What's it rated?