The Ides of March | Teen Ink

The Ides of March MAG

March 19, 2012
By Victoria Henley BRONZE, Colquitt, Georgia
Victoria Henley BRONZE, Colquitt, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“The Ides of March” is a cynical yet stingingly poignant exposé of crookedness in the political world. Mike Morris (George Clooney) is a Democratic governor hoping to take his political aspirations to the next level. As the primaries begin, Morris gains a large following, thanks to his sly charisma, articulate speeches, and poetic promises. However, the Presidential hopeful's young and worldly junior campaign manager and friend, Stephen Meyers (Ryan Gosling) struggles with the slow, painful realization that he might just be working for a narcissistic psychopath.

Stephen's strife is deepened when he receives a suspicious yet tempting offer from an opposing candidate's smooth-talking chief advisor (Paul Giamatti). All the while, he's developing feelings for an intern (Evan Rachel Wood) who later makes a shocking revelation that may threaten her life.

While “The Ides of March” begins slowly, the story line becomes complex and multidimensional as the film builds to its conclusion: if we are not solid in our morals, inevitably we lose our souls and ourselves. The film, directed and co-written by Clooney, has undertones that seem paradoxical to the liberal actor's viewpoints, but it undeniably reflects the current state of our nation.

Clooney, with his steely gazes and passive-aggressive tones, convincingly portrays his character as an antagonistic victicrat, while Gosling effortlessly shifts from a trusting, charming protagonistic to a sorrowful, paranoid man, tormented by his conflicting desires to maintain his ethics and his political position.

“The Ides of March” is supported by sharp dialogue and a small but pivotal role played by Marisa Tomei as an ambitious, intrusive reporter. Each character arrives at the bitter conclusion that it is impossible to have it all, even if they die trying.

This film is rated R.