Soul Surfer | Teen Ink

Soul Surfer

January 1, 2012
By manda315 SILVER, Voorhees, New Jersey
manda315 SILVER, Voorhees, New Jersey
7 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Piglet:"How do you spell love?"
Pooh:"You can't spell love. You feel it."


No one knows the tragedy of a shark attack. No one knows the story of that surfer in the attack. No one knows...when or how it happened... it just— happened. In the blink of an eye, Bethany Hamilton lost her left arm while surfing on a bay in Hawaii. She did not feel a single thing in her arm— yet all she could see was blood bleeding the water’s surface. Soon find out why the movie “Soul Surfer” talks about a girl’s passion to surf and her soul’s determination to get back in the water.

Bethany has always been a source of inspiration to all through her determination, faith, and courage. One ordinary day on a Halloween morning in 2003, Bethany was surfing and was attacked— by a tiger shark. The tiger shark was 14 ft. long and took off most all of her left arm. She lost 60% of her blood so, she had to get many surgeries done. With an unbelievable attitude, Bethany recovered very quickly. After one month, she was back in the water getting back in deep. Soon after she got back in the water, Bethany entered a competition and she had won fifth place. In 2007, Bethany Hamilton became pro after she realized that her dream was—surfing.



Surfing maybe easy, but when you only have one arm that could be tricky. Surfing a tube can be easy for anyone, but what happens when you have one arm… well that’s up to that person to go ahead and do what they love. I think that the movie ”Soul Surfer” really speaks of how a girl gets back in the water after a big disaster. I always say that if you’re down slowly get back up. I never thought that something that bad would happen to a girl like that… and I think that she did great by getting back in the water and not backing down. Bethany did a good job at staying up on her board and not dunking into the water.

No one would ever think that a girl that has one arm could surf; Bethany has changed that… she has won many surfing tournaments in an array of divisions. Everyone only has one life… so why can’t Bethany and others like her live the same life as you and I. No one should be left out because of his/her looks or personality. You should always love your life and consider you a miracle in this world.