Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 MAG

July 30, 2011
By KeriAnn BRONZE, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
KeriAnn BRONZE, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

While the final page may have been turned four years ago, the much-beloved Harry Potter saga truly ended on July 15, 2011. Dressed as their favorite characters fans lined up at theaters across the country to see the last film in a series that has spanned over a decade. While excitement ran high, did “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” live up to expectations?

Since the book release of Deathly Hallows four years ago, this film has been the most anticipated of the series. Beloved characters that fans have watched grow up before their eyes would be lost and the final battle between good and evil fought. The film wastes no time in setting the scene, showing the dark, somber Hogwarts with Snape as headmaster. Meanwhile, Harry, Ron, and Hermione have to break into Bellatrix Lestrange's vault at Gringotts in order to find another Horcrux.

Though the scene at Shell Cottage is a little slow, it is necessary to explain what the Horcruxes and Deathly Hallows are. From that point on, the film is non-stop action. The magical trio, along with Griphook the goblin, break into the vault and get the Horcrux, disturbing a dragon in the process.

While the scene at Gringotts is exciting, we're anticipating the trio's return to Hogwarts. They sneak in with the help of Aberforth Dumbledore, their deceased headmaster's brother. One of the film's downsides is that Aberforth's story is never explored, not allowing the audience to learn about Albus Dumbledore's past.

The highly anticipated Battle of Hogwarts was among the most dramatic action scenes in the film series. While some may have worried about the changes made to Snape's scene, Alan Rickman truly shines and surprises everyone. Opinions of Snape might change after the intense scene in the boathouse. In my opinion, it is one of the best moments in the series.

The film is fast-paced, hastening the already short movie. Certain moments that book fans may have been looking forward to were cut, leaving room for Harry and Voldemort's final face-off, when only one would emerge alive. I'll stop there. While most of you already know the outcome, I don't want to ruin it for anyone who has been living under a rock for the past four years.

The final scene at Platform 9¾ is poignant, stirring up a decade of memories. Some fans may recognize the music from the end of “Sorcerer's Stone,” when Harry is returning to Privet Drive. It makes a return in what will probably be the most tear-jerking part for many who remember that scene of our boy wizard telling his friends that he wasn't going home, “not really.” Now, Harry has finally found his home firmly in pop-culture history and the hearts of adoring fans.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” is a brilliant end to a truly magical series. While it omits some parts of the book and shortens others, it stays true to the heart-wrenching, pulse-pounding excitement that J.K. Rowling wanted her fans to experience. It definitely doesn't disappoint. And now, after more than a decade, Harry Potter admirers can consider mischief managed.