Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 | Teen Ink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 MAG

By KeriAnn BRONZE, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
KeriAnn BRONZE, Whitehall, Pennsylvania

While the final page may have been turned four years ago, the much-beloved Harry Potter saga truly ended on July 15, 2011. Dressed as their favorite characters fans lined up at theaters across the country to see the last film in a series that has spanned over a decade. While excitement ran high, did “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” live up to expectations?

Since the book release of Deathly Hallows four years ago, this film has been the most anticipated of the series. Beloved characters that fans have watched grow up before their eyes would be lost and the final battle between good and evil fought. The film wastes no time in setting the scene, showing the dark, somber Hogwarts with Snape as headmaster. Meanwhile, Harry, Ron, and Hermione have to break into Bellatrix Lestrange's vault at Gringotts in order to find another Horcrux.

Though the scene at Shell Cottage is a little slow, it is necessary to explain what the Horcruxes and Deathly Hallows are. From that point on, the film is non-stop action. The magical trio, along with Griphook the goblin, break into the vault and get the Horcrux, disturbing a dragon in the process.

While the scene at Gringotts is exciting, we're anticipating the trio's return to Hogwarts. They sneak in with the help of Aberforth Dumbledore, their deceased headmaster's brother. One of the film's downsides is that Aberforth's story is never explored, not allowing the audience to learn about Albus Dumbledore's past.

The highly anticipated Battle of Hogwarts was among the most dramatic action scenes in the film series. While some may have worried about the changes made to Snape's scene, Alan Rickman truly shines and surprises everyone. Opinions of Snape might change after the intense scene in the boathouse. In my opinion, it is one of the best moments in the series.

The film is fast-paced, hastening the already short movie. Certain moments that book fans may have been looking forward to were cut, leaving room for Harry and Voldemort's final face-off, when only one would emerge alive. I'll stop there. While most of you already know the outcome, I don't want to ruin it for anyone who has been living under a rock for the past four years.

The final scene at Platform 9¾ is poignant, stirring up a decade of memories. Some fans may recognize the music from the end of “Sorcerer's Stone,” when Harry is returning to Privet Drive. It makes a return in what will probably be the most tear-jerking part for many who remember that scene of our boy wizard telling his friends that he wasn't going home, “not really.” Now, Harry has finally found his home firmly in pop-culture history and the hearts of adoring fans.

“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2” is a brilliant end to a truly magical series. While it omits some parts of the book and shortens others, it stays true to the heart-wrenching, pulse-pounding excitement that J.K. Rowling wanted her fans to experience. It definitely doesn't disappoint. And now, after more than a decade, Harry Potter admirers can consider mischief managed.

poetry.is.beast GOLD, Topeka, Kansas

"Just keep swimming." -Dory!

Okay, first off, this is extremely well written! You need to submit this to some sort of contest, anything you can get your hands on! Now, for the emotional part-I'm so touched that you mentioned the music from Sorcerer's Stone. That mere melody puts me to tears so I must always be careful where I am if I start to hum it. The nostalgia that is evoked by the key heart-breaking moments you mention is perfect. Always.

3Dzynez BRONZE said...
on Dec. 8 2011 at 11:59 am
3Dzynez BRONZE, Toronto, Other

Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon. (Rorschach - The Watchmen)

A well-crafted review, with an mind-numingly sophisticated ending. Mischief Managed! 

Well Done!

just-another-url GOLD, Cannes, Other

"It's a good thing to be strange. Normalness leads to sadness." -Philip Lester

I agree 100%. Snape being my fav from the whole HP series, I must say that I was in tears and Alan Rickman delivered his last sceen perfectly. The half-blood prince will always rule at Hogwarts ! <3 

KeriAnn BRONZE said...
KeriAnn BRONZE, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
Aww, thanks! Haha! The ending is my favorite part too! I was so proud of myself when I thought of it! And it's okay to be overexcited! (I get like that all the time! :) )

Alex_Durham GOLD, Vineland, New Jersey

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

i LOVE your ending!!! It's so creative - Harry Potter admirers can consider mischief managed!! OH I LOVE THAT!!! Anyways... haha i loved your whole article... FAVORITING IT!!! (im overexcited)

The.King SILVER, Golden, Colorado

"A story's beginning is a sudden event. The start, a happy accident; the end, the fate for which it's meant. A story that never ends is a sad fate."-Miss Edel

Ok... I'm not one to complain... or to accuse, but the way you ended this review 'mischief managed" looks suspiciously like the one I wrote the night this thing came out.  Good review and all, I'm just a little concerned...

marymac102 said...
WOW!! Spot on review!! I agree that this was an exciting and thrilling finale to the epic series!! Snape absolutely redeemed himself in my eyes!  Long live, Harry Potter!

Ambrose BRONZE said...
Ambrose BRONZE, Palm City, Florida
Snape was brillant Alan Rickman got Snape's mannerisms down to a science! If he doesnt win an award theres somthing wrong.. and Snape won favorite character in a world wide poll! WOOT!(:

NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey

If we all fail, we fail together. XD

Alan Rickman OWNED this whole movie. Snape is my favorite character ever!