Green Lantern | Teen Ink

Green Lantern

June 24, 2011
By DrOctogoose BRONZE, Surrey, Other
DrOctogoose BRONZE, Surrey, Other
2 articles 7 photos 2 comments

Directed by: Martin Campbell
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Blake Lively and Peter Sarsgaard

The Green Lantern Corps has existed for thousands of years, fighting evil from every corner of the universe. It is done through willpower, a force, like gravity, which is stored in rings. The bearers of these rings can create whatsoever he or she wishes, and use it to protect the galaxies. But when Parallax (not to be confused with Snorlax) finds a new source of power, fear, the Green Lanterns are overwhelmed, and look to earth for rescue.
This responsibility falls on Hal Jordan, a cocky yet talented jet fighter who becomes the first ever human Green Lantern. Since early childhood, Hal has been gripped with fear of all types, and struggles to become the man he wants to be. The other Green Lanterns, knowing this, have little faith in him, and are quick to abandon hope. But Carol Ferris, Hal’s long lost friend, thinks differently, and helps him realize the potential he has. As Hal gears up to the big fight he must remember one thing: before he can destroy Parallax’s power of fear, he must first destroy his own.
The Green Lantern is a movie that should never had been made. The basic foundations that came from the comic are just too cheesy and too unrealistic to put into film. Here’s an example: Hal’s trainer says “the ring turns thought into reality. The only limits are what you can imagine.” Okay, so what I’m thinking now is “Great, so when Parallax comes for Hal, he can make an army of Parallaxes and set them loose on him.” If there are any restrictions to the powers I wouldn’t know, since it doesn’t explain it in the movie.
Throughout the movie there are an array of ideas that come out as mush. The above synopsis was so hard to write because I didn’t know what to include and what not to; there was just too many things happening. They tried to fit the entire comic franchise in a space of 105 minutes, which is just comical (get it).
The theme is also overdone. As you all should know by now, the theme of this movie is fear. Batman Begins does a fabulous job of showing this, by not making it too noticeable, yet still making it pungent in the end. The Green Lantern, on the other hand, literally blurts it out right at the beginning, and leaves you no room to think about it. The theme is beaten into almost every scene of the movie, and therefore creates a cheesy and predictable ending: He must face his fear.
Not everything about this movie was bad; it had its good parts. Ryan Reynolds, for example, played his part very well and connected with the audience. There were also some intense action sequences and some funny lines, but overall, it fell short of my expectations (of which were low) and left me wanting more as I left the theatre.
Overall rating: 2/5


The author's comments:
A review for the new movie Green Lantern with Ryan Reynolds