Cry-Baby | Teen Ink

Cry-Baby MAG

March 29, 2011
By Rebecca Jenkins BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Rebecca Jenkins BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Cry-Baby” opens with a scene in which Johnny Depp, playing Wade “Cry-baby” Walker, is receiving some sort of injection at his high school and, at the sight of a beautiful girl, cries a single tear. This may sound unusual, but this is pretty much the way the movie goes. “Cry-Baby,” written and directed by John Waters, is about two 1950s teens from different backgrounds falling in love, redefining their images, and singing songs about “High School Hellcats.” The movie is a sort of spoof of every musical involving rebellious students who use song and dance to resolve their problems (“Hairspray,” “Grease”) but with a lower budget and less well-known actors.

This movie is funny almost to the point where it's uncomfortable, and you might find yourself wondering why you just spent an hour and a half watching it. Well, I have an answer. You watch because it is fun. The movie doesn't have a symbolic story line that keeps you thinking about it long after the credits. It is simply entertaining.

“Cry-Baby” does not have any particularly notable actors besides Depp, but that's another plus. You can't judge the actors' performances or question their sanity in choosing the role if you don't know them, right? (However, just for clarification, I will note that Depp is said to have joined the cast to rid himself of the image of being a “teen dream.”)

I highly recommend “Cry-Baby” if you're looking for a fun movie that won't make you think too hard. You just may find yourself watching it over and over again.