The Departed | Teen Ink

The Departed

November 10, 2010
By Moviebuff0202 SILVER, East Setauket, New York
Moviebuff0202 SILVER, East Setauket, New York
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."- Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight


The Departed is an action/drama from 2006 (seems so long ago). In Boston, there are two classes. The cops and the criminals. Anyone that's not an undercover cop in the real world is a part-time mafia worker. This is no exception for William Costigan and Colin Sullivan. Growing up, Colin Sullivan was befriended by the top dog in the Boston Irish mob, Frank Costello. As he grows up, he slowly worms his way into the Massachusetts State Police, getting promoted twice a month, he finally ends up in the Special Investigations Unit. This unit's sole goal is to hunt down and arrest Costello, who Sullivan is still working for. Meanwhile, William grows up with two divorced parents, one living in the corrupt South Boston, one living in the quaint North Boston. His entire family is corrupt, so the State Police don't believe he's fit to be admitted as a cop. However, he is sent undercover in Costello's mob. He also begins to work his way up in the ranks, until Costigan and Sullivan both find out that they have a rat to find, but they don't know who.

This is the best movie EVER! Better than Twilight (which I don't like), better than Harry potter (I liked those), even better than The Dark Knight (there, I said it). Sure, this movie is violent and intense, but the connective tissue, the underlying themes, and the cast make this movie a classic.

First, the connective tissue mainly consists of dialogue that goes on in between the action. Because of the R rating and the fact that they curse at least once every second prevent me from giving some examples, but trust me, see this movie and listen to the sociopathic dialogue that goes on.

Secondly, the underlying themes of family really overtake this movie. From the plot, it is difficult to realize how the importance of family is at all relevant to this film. However, Sullivan's father died when he was a boy, and he fell under Costello's wing to have at least one father figure. Costigan's family is entirely made up of criminals, and most of them passed away by the time he was able to apply to the State Police. In this way, Costello thought that he had become a father figure to Costigan.

Finally, this movie had the best, and I mean the BEST, ensemble performance from the cast. This cast contained Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlburg, Alec Baldwin, Martin Sheen, Vera Farmiga, James Badge Dale, and Ray Winstone. It would take far too long to explain each individual role, so I will explain five. First, Leo plays William H. Costigan, the undercover inside the mob. Secondly, Matt Damon stars opposite Leo as Colin Sullivan, the mafia's undercover inside the police. Thirdly, Jack Nicholson plays Frank Costello, the head of the Irish mafia Fourth, Mark Wahlburg plays Staff Sgt. Dignam. His role is hard to explain, but he's a main character. Finally, Vera Farmiga plays Madolyn, Sullivan's girlfriend and a police therapist.

Winner of four oscars, including best picture and best director (Martin Scorsese), this is, in my opinion, better than The Godfather. Go and see The Departed.


The author's comments:
'Cops or Criminals. When You're Facing a Loaded Gun, What's the Difference?'-Jack Nicholson