A Quiets Place | Teen Ink

A Quiets Place

February 2, 2024
By Bensin BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Bensin BRONZE, Sacramento, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" You don't take a photo, you made it." - Arsel Adens


With the creeks of the floor, the gust of wind, all you hear is ambient sounds. Now imagine not being able to speak again? As it might be the last sounds you make again. That is the world of A Quiet Place. A Quiet Place is a horror movie with bits of thriller sprinkled throughout the film. What makes this A Quiet Place to be considered a horror by it including a scary person or being or something that inflicts fear to the characters. Also with how thriller it can be is by how the movie makes the setting eerie and scary with what will come next and how the characters will progress the film. This movie takes place nearly in an apocalyptic world where a family has to survive without making a noise. Within characters having to grow up and protect their loved ones, surviving with disabilities, and bringing life to this treacherous world in order to survive . The movie A Quiet Place has a unique way of telling a story with the world building in throughout the characters action and is one of the best horror movies to come out recently.

A Quiet Place takes a family as their main characters. There is the father named Lee Abbott played by John Krannsinski, The mother named Evelyn Abbott played by Emily Blunt, The son named Marcus Abott played by Noah Jupe, and the daughter named Regen Abbott played by Milicent Simmonds. With Regen being the most interesting character as she is deaf in the film so she has to survive differently in the movie. The reason why Regan is the most interesting character is because the movie portrays her perspective as silent. She would not hear the tap from her feet to the floor, the creek of a bed she lays down, or even the gust of wind. Regan throughout the film will have to prove her Father as she can be vital to the family as she wants to protect them all even disputes her disability.

Where this film takes place is that the family starts living at a farm far away from town at a barn where each character has a role to fit in. The father protects the family, the mother cares for the kids, the daughter has to help out the mother, and the son learns to survive and protect with his father. The family has to survive with the world that they once knew is gone with barely any humans on the world and towns and cities left abandoned with the monster killing nearly all of society.

This movie's main objective is survival throughout the apocalypse as they can’t talk as any slight noise they will be killed. For example, one way the characters have to be quiet is by walking on sand to muffle their footsteps. The family is smart with having to communicate with sign language as a whisper is even too loud in this world. This film is smart with showing how characters have to communicate with each other. As another example, towards the third act the mother is in danger while in labor having to put up the red lights throughout the barn to signal she is in danger.

The Director and writer is John Krasinski and he made this wonderful film in which Emily Blunt, the Mother, won an award for outstanding performance by a female actor in a supporting role. This Film also gained many nominees for sound, best motion score , and best horror film for 2019. With John Kransinski also acting part of the film he really emphasized the “quiet part” of the film. What the director conveyed his message of the story is adapting. With the characters all having their own personal struggles with each having to change about not being loud and having to be quiet. For example, the father has to set off fireworks to lure the monster away when the mother is giving birth. After she gives birth she has to go to a makeshift bunker so the baby doesn’t make loud noises. That shows how the mother has to adapt towards her surroundings because she can’t do a regular birth as there is a monster on the hunt for any living thing making any sound.

A Quiet place really stayed true to its title as the characters rarely spoke throughout the whole film. From having the characters communicate through sign language, not having any shoes to make noise , and changing their whole lifestyle to survive. Try to listen to the wind, you can almost hear the leaves bristle throughout the wind and hope you can never live a life that the Abbot family had to go through.


The author's comments:

This film was an amazing experience to watch with many tensed moments!