Adman | Teen Ink

Adman

By Bensin BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Bensin BRONZE, Sacramento, California

" You don't take a photo, you made it." - Arsel Adens

Adman may appear as a love story that follows the simplistic things that happen in a relationship. However there is a twist, it's told through advertisements.  Adman is a short satire film about how life is. It starts off with Logan moving out to pursue his dream of getting the Adman award through the struggles of work and maintaining a healthy relationship. This was an innovative short film with a simple premise but adding a bit of fun by the film being told by commercials. Adman is an interesting film that will make you laugh and will make you have an enjoyable watching experience. 

Adman shows Logan (played by Ted Cannon) moving out for his new job. When goes to work he sees this girl named Allie ( Played by Jocelin Donahue) and they eventually get together. They will both go through the ups and downs of having a relationship. From having arguments, disagreements, not spending enough time with each other, having responsibilities, and not satisfying the other partner. Towards the end Logan finally got the promotion from his boss and they would eventually move out. Then out of nowhere, Allie dies from getting crushed from their piano.

You may see this as just a simple story plot of a loving romance movie and you are right. However this is all told through adverts. When Logan moved out it showed him and his mom on call and it ended up being a phone line advertisement. When Logan went to go check out Allie he stumbled to the vending machine and had a quick save from a bag of peanuts. The bag of peanuts was an advertisement told from two narrators that sounds like a baseball announcer. From there on there would be an advertisement from the beer when they go out, when a dog messed up their carpet they told an ad about dog cleaner, and even booking trips ad’s when Allie wants to go to Australia with Logan. 

There is so much advertisement that it makes it fun to watch. From guessing what the Ad is going to be about or guessing what the plot is going to be based upon the Ad. You can see how the director had fun with the structure of the film. The Director and writer of Adman is named Ben Callner. He wrote this film to poke fun of everyday society of what goes on within a relationship and life. From the short film showing important points of life that anyone can experience as an Ad. Ben Callner knows that anyone has or will go through vital points in life from getting a promotion, getting into a relationship, or moving out and it may just seem a bit boring. So to add a twist is by showing the audience how life can be an Ad. 

Adman is a wonderful short film with an interesting story telling about our lives. The only thing to go through life is to have fun with it. When seeing this short film just get ready to watch a funny movie with a twist.

What inspired me to make this review is that I enjoy great piece of film, literature, songs, or games. From changing up the formula to perfecting a trope of what standard it is supposed to follow.