Interstellar | Teen Ink

Interstellar

By omom BRONZE, Sacramento, California
omom BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“if you’re not the one for me who is” is like there’s nobody but you; “you are the only one for me” is the romantic side of it and the other flip side of it is like well if you’re not the one then who is? And you’re really lonely and like all of a sudden it’s just you. - keshi 2019

Try having NASA come to ask you about going to pilot a spaceship to another planet because life on Earth is dying out and we need a new home. Well, in Interstellar we follow a story of an astronaut father Cooper, who is asked exactly that. He has to make the decision of leaving his family and saving them and this is his only way. He is on this journey with three other astronauts and one robot, the three astronauts being Dr. Brand, Romilly, and Doyle, the robot’s name is TARS. On this journey to find a new planet to live on is it possible they will return?

This science-fiction had me on a rollercoaster because I was not sure what was going to happen or how it was going to end. This movie had many famous actors such as Anna Hathaway, Timothe Chalamet, and Matthew McConaughey. As in many science fiction movies, this has been set in the future and is showing us how the world is seen now if we keep continuing the way we live. An example of this from the movie is when we see the sand storms happening and ruining the crops which lead us to Coopers’ story and has us wondering if he will be able to solve this problem.

We are also asked the question, are aliens real? Well, are they… I’m not sure but in Interstellar Christopher Nolan has us questioning if they are real. As we follow this amazing movie it is shown that not many people will understand the year difference in Interstellar. But I for one have figured it out listen to the music or the background noises, for example, a tik, that can indicate a year passing on Earth while the astronauts are on a different planet. 

The connection between Interstellar and my personal experience is that I want to be just as smart as the characters are in the movie, and actually, the movie was so good it made me ponder a lot of ideas of how I can study or learn from the fictional experiences. I really enjoyed the movie especially the theme music being quite dramatic which grabs my attention right away every time I hear it. 

Overall, this movie has made me more interested in the science fiction genre and I would probably enjoy more movies such as this, if you like Christopher Nolen movies this one would have to be given a chance to look at and definitely watch, I would definitely watch this again. I liked this movie because of the characters instead of men being the hero we are also able to watch women become heroes and save what seemed like could not be saved.

This movie review is for a class assignment for film studies and just watching this movie had me interested in the science fiction genere.