"If you aren't buying the product, you are the product" : A Review on The Social Dilemma | Teen Ink

"If you aren't buying the product, you are the product" : A Review on The Social Dilemma

April 27, 2021
By mayaascher BRONZE, New City, New York
mayaascher BRONZE, New City, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A warning to our nation- The Social Dilemma directed by Jeff Orlowski is a documentary/docudrama that aired in January of 2020. This documentary was produced as a message to all social media consumers, warning them about the potentially dangerous impact that social networking has. Before watching this in class, I had previously watched it on my own time. I expected this documentary to be a lesson on what negative side effects social media has on the population. I always had always wondered what these giant tech companies do with some of our personal information, and how we get those targeted ads. This documentary answered all of my queries and more. The documentary was set up in two different formats. One being interviews with ex-high-up big-tech company executives, where they were asked about addiction to technology, what is done with our data etc.; the other was a drama of a fictional average family who is shown suffering some of the consequences talked about in the interviews. I thought this creative approach to teaching viewers about complicated topics was very considerate. This way people can hear and see exactly what is being discussed. Some viewers don't agree and believe that some of the scenes for example, where three men are in a character’s phone deliberating what notifications to send to encourage him to use his phone again, are ridiculous. Some of the key things I picked up were that social media is designed to be addictive and the companies have and will not ever make attempts to make their platform less addictive. Social media companies capture our attention and determine what we like, and then seeing that information to ad companies, so social media users are more likely to buy their product. Perfectly explained by a quote from this documentary, “if you aren't paying for the product, you are the product.” Statements like this caught my attention and the attention of other viewers. Few views also think that the documentary displayed the colonies as pure evil., or a “ cartoon super-villain view” and they didn't do this by using misinformation to incite fear. People that helped create this documentary said that the “ridiculous” drama scenes were used to communicate to a broader audience, which they did effectively. The effects and camera work were standard and I witnessed no crucial or unprofessional flaws to this. The director also selected an astounding group of people to have interviewed including a man who aided with the creation of Facebook’s “like” button. These people understood how these companies operate and provided the audience with many examples and details. Orlowotski provided viewers with an eye-opening documentary filled with important information in an easy-to-understand format and i would recommend this documentary to teens all the way to adults.