Reviewing Beautiful Boy | Teen Ink

Reviewing Beautiful Boy

By evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
evaf13 SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Addiction is incredibly hard to portray on screen, and is a topic that is far under-discussed. In the movie, Beautiful Boy, viewers get to experience a real life drug addiction story that may inspire others to never get themselves involved in drug related activities. It brings attention to an incredibly problematic issue that people need to be more aware of.

The movie, Beautiful Boy begins with a foreshadowing scene where a father is sitting in an office speaking with a medical director. He immediately brings up his son’s methamphetamine addiction looking for any sort of help. This gives viewers an anticipation for a back story and really draws them in.

The movie itself is based off of a real life story of a young boy who struggles with the disease of addiction. Steve Carell and Timothee Chalamet play the father and son duo representing Nic and David Scheff. The film takes us across his journey starting in the beginning, going through rehab, relapse, and even reaching the lowest lows. The emotional story jumps back and forth between the present and flashbacks that give viewers a sense of the emotional chaos that addiction can cause someone to feel. 

The flashbacks are moments that make the viewer appreciate and love Nic and his character. Nic is an 18 year old boy who is very charismatic and wise. He has a talent and interest in writing and reading, especially poetry. He has moments, switching between his highs and his lows, that make viewers emotionally attached to the good side of this character, giving them hope that he can return out of this addiction cycle. 

Timothee Chalamet’s young acting seems so real. You can feel his anger and agitation that is a result of the extreme drug use. He brings his James Dean like performance to the screen yet again, as he similarly does in Call Me By Your Name and Hot Summer Nights as well as his other movies. It attracts the audience and gives them more of a reason to watch.

The father, David Scheff, faces his own roller coaster battle as well. He tries everything in his power to save his son on multiple occasions. He travels across the country to help Nic at his lowest lows. 

Steve Carell has a very difficult role to play, as a father of a drug addict. However, he plays this part incredibly well. You feel the fatherly love that he expresses. It makes it extremely believable. Although his acting in this movie is a more quiet and sturdier performance, it fits the father figure of a drug addict stereotype that we like to see.

As the movie is told mostly from his perspective, you feel the emotions of what it must be like to be a father of a young teenager addicted to drugs. The way it is told makes the plot even more interesting. 

Overall, this movie rawly represents a true story of addiction and the impact it has on surrounding people. The perspective from a father’s point of view makes it even more interesting. The tasteful acting and incredible plot make this movie one of my all-time favorites.