The Pacifier | Teen Ink

The Pacifier

The Pacifier is a movie starring Vin Diesel as a talented Navy SEAL named Shane Wolfe. Shane is practically the best there is at what he does, and he's prepared for anything and everything thrown his way, or at least that's what he thinks. However, this all changes when Wolfe is presented with a new challenge that might just be too big of an issue for him. Wolfe is sent to keep a scientist, Howard Plummer safe, due to some of his ideas that involve national security and thus warrant some pretty powerful opponents. This means that Shane has a huge job in protecting the scientist, and while Wolfe believes he can't possibly go wrong, he ends up failing and this results in Plummer's untimely death. Embarrassed, humiliated and not sure where to turn next, Wolfe finally is given a shot to redeem himself when he's able to be assigned to protect Plummer's family. Knowing full well that he has to make things right, especially considering that the family's suffering is partially his fault, Shane agrees to accomplish the task. Despite the trying to correct his previous mistake, Shane Wolfe soon discovers that this might be more than he can handle. Although Shane is trained in all sorts of different techniques, he seems to be lost when it comes to taking care of five rebellious kids, as well as a pet duck. All of this combines together to create what might just be Wolfe's biggest challenge yet.

The Pacifier is by no means a sophisticated adventure, but this doesn't prevent the immense amount of entertainment in the movie pleasing viewers of all ages. The beginning of the movie does a great job of introducing characters and concepts to audiences, and while it doesn't do anything that spectacular, it does manage to set up later storylines that only add more drama to the plot. The middle of the movie does a satisfactory job of progressing the plot along, and this portion of the film includes Shane Wolfe struggling to adapt to being a parent, which is just so naturally hilarious. The enticing ending of the movie also isn't that elaborate, but it magnificently concludes the whole roller coast ride and successfully ties up all loose ends. Aided by a few thrilling twists and turns that come at seemingly every inch and corner, the ending actually provides plenty of unexpected surprises that will keep watchers guessing. 
 Although some didn't think too highly of The Pacifier, this movie still proves to be heartwarming, genuinely funny, and unsurprisingly enjoyable. Vin Diesel is simply terrific as Shane Wolfe, and he brings plenty of emotion and passion to the role. While there are plenty of other notable roles, there is no doubt that the true heart and soul of the movie is Diesel having fun with his performance.

The Pacifier isn't a complex tale with an immensely powerful message, but it is a family friendly adventure that appeals to the kid in us all. 

"I will never forget you." - Shane Wolfe