Review of PRIDE | Teen Ink

Review of PRIDE

By _brit_writer_06 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
_brit_writer_06 BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

History is chock full of violence and discrimation, pain and suffering. But, if you read between the lines written by our ancestors, there are rare nuggets of gold. One such golden nugget, hidden deep in the sludge of Britain’s Thatcher government, was the Lesbians and Gays Support Miners movement, led by Mark Ashton, the dynamic figurehead of a group that changed the tide for both the miners and LGBT activism forever. The 2014 movie, Pride, is the perfect depiction of LGSM (Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners), and of the everyday struggles and triumphs that can be experienced by not just gay and lesbian people, but by any minority anywhere. 

Directed by Matthew Warchus, Pride has a spectacular cast and crew. Ben Schnetzer starring as Mark Ashton, the gay activist who shaped LGSM, and Andrew Scott as Gethin, who struggles to reconcile his love for his family with their blatant bigotry. You can see both of these riveting historical characters done justice by brilliant actors, and how Gethin matures throughout the film, especially on the subject of his shattered home-life.. Pride has won one BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts), for an Outstanding Debut by a British Director, as well as a British Film award and two nominations in 2014 and 2015. Ann Hornaday, from the Washington Post says “Pride keeps its sure-footed balance, never sacrificing authenticity on the altar of sincerity, sweetness and light”.

The soundtrack is riveting, featuring amazing hits you know and love, as well as some wild cards that could blow you away. My favourite was “I Want To Break Free”, by Queen, because of its brilliant blend of heartache and suffering, and the way you can feel yourself sway to the music. However, one grievance I had with this movie is the was the lack of effort with cinematography, and that many of the shots were still for entire conversations. Though it is a historical comedy, Pride didn’t stick exactly to the truth, as there were many amusing one liners, and back and forths that would have been impossible to pull off in real time, but adds a crackling atmosphere that was much enjoyed. 

While it is a hilariously funny movie on the surface, Pride doesn’t dance lightly around some of the serious issues that were prevalent in London in the 1980s, as problems such as three million unemployed, and moderate to severe homophobia. There is quite offensive language that is very homophobic, and if that might upset you, then this is not your movie. There are also countless references toward A.I.D.S, HIV and other STDs, which really add a somber tone to the concept of this movie. As expected, I cried for the whole movie, and I’m talking tissues, napkins, my sleeve… This movie will destroy you, humble you, and by the end you will be a better, more empathetic person. A person covered in salty tears and snot, but still a better person!

Personally, this movie has changed my life and allowed me to understand my feelings. When I first watched this movie I was confused, vulnerable and afraid. I had a crush on a boy that was in my 5th grade class, not huge, but still terrifying, and had no idea how to process my feelings. Pride helped me develop and mature to the point where I felt comfortable telling my parents, (who, by the way, have supported me and kept me safe, not once doubting my feelings), and eventually some of my closest friends. I guess, in a way, this piece is a way for me to come out as well.

Pride is an inspirational masterpiece that tells the story of some of the bravest people in history, but more than that, it is the kind of movie that can help us tell our own stories, to each other and to ourselves. It is the kind of movie which can create such stunning waves of emotion that often times, you will not know if you’re elated at the victory of LGSM, crushed by the realism of discrimination in our society or angry at the bullying homophobes. However, I can guarantee that the one thing you will feel is overwhelming pride.