Men in Black: International | Teen Ink

Men in Black: International

November 17, 2019
By Anonymous

 Men in Black: International proves to be a science fiction adventure that combines together eccentric visuals and crazy alien concepts to form an exhilarating roller coaster. The movie revolves around Molly, a young girl who was first introduced to the Men in Black when two agents erased her parents' memories but forgot to erase her own. This has caused Molly to be in search of the prestigious Men in Black agency for her entire life, searching and striving to learn the secrets of the universe. It is with this mindset that Molly is able to become lucky enough to finally find where the Men in Black have been hiding all this time, and in the process, she convinces one of the agents in charge to give her a chance to become an agent, which has been her dream for as long as she could remember. She is soon thrown into a world of exotic aliens, advanced technology that she never knew existed, and so much more as she realizes her dream of working for the Men in Black is everything and then some that she could have possibly hoped for. Molly, who now goes by Agent M, is finally given a chance to dip her feet into the exotic world of working for an organization that tries to save the universe. Teaming up with the infamous Agent H, who was once one of the finest agents the organization had to offer, Agent M works as a rookie to keep up with the agency's growing problems, which have expanded to the farthest edges of the universe. Although Agent M and Agent H couldn't be more different, practically opposites, it seems like they could prove to be the odd duo needed to save the world. In fact, all of their training must come to fruition when they battle two powerful aliens that are able to take the form of any human being. As Agent M and Agent H try to save the universe, they soon begin to unravel a much greater mystery as they have the adventure of a lifetime. 
 Men in Black: International attempts to revive and reboot the Men in Black franchise, while also adding to the series' mythos. The beginning of the movie does a great job of introducing characters to the story and evolving some of their most crucial aspects. The middle of the movie manages to progress the plot along, and while it isn't the most sophisticated, this portion of the movie still has plenty of entertainment. The enticing ending of the movie wraps up the whole plot in a nice bundle, and it practically ties up all loose knots. Despite the initial predictability of some of the movie's characteristics, it is still enjoyable enough to entrance audiences in the exciting world of the Men in Black. 
 Men in Black: International may not be that complex of a story, but it boasts enough eccentric concepts to amaze audiences. The visuals of the movie are nothing short of astounding, and they make odd aliens come alive, even ones that have three arms, making them just crazy enough to work. The plot itself does lack having some cohesion and conciseness, but it is still a unified tale that has meaningful characters that are able to provide joy for the audience. In particular, Pawny, a little alien, is introduced and sure to be a fan-favorite with his quick wit, astounding one-liners and ability to add some laughter and lighten up the tone of the movie at the exact right moment. 
 Men in Black: International has a star-studded cast that shines. Tessa Thompson is terrific as Molly, and she brings plenty of emotion and passion to the role to make the character stand out and feel relatable. Chris Hemsworth's Agent H is fantastic, and Hemsworth provides a character that is likable, funny and truly a pleasure to watch as he interacts with some of the strangest wonders of the universe. He combines together with Thompson to create a surprisingly efficient and talented acting duo that help to make the movie that much more immersive. While there are plenty of other notable roles, such as Kumail Nanijiani's voice of Pawny and Liam Neeson's High T, the real heart and soul of the movie is the relationship between Thompson and Hemsworth.
 Men in Black: International is certainly not perfect, due to a few flaws pertaining to the ability to surprise audiences, but it is still adventurous and action-packed enough to please viewers. Aided by a cast that cares about what's on-screen, the movie infuses a new sense of science fiction into the movie. While some feel that the movie fails to completely transform the wheel that the movie spins on, the moments that are passionate are truly wonderful. This may not be an absolute must-see, but it is still definitely worth watching. 


The author's comments:

"Always remember, the universe has a way of leading you to where you’re supposed to be at the moment you’re supposed to be there." - Agent High T