The Graduate | Teen Ink

The Graduate

November 16, 2019
By Anonymous

 The Graduate proves to be a true classic that infuses together scores of romance and comedy to create a tale that appeals to everyone. The movie revolves around Benjamin Braddock, who is better known as Ben, and Ben is a recent graduate of one of the most prestigious universities in the whole country. He was a superstar at college, one of the strongest runners on the track team, one of the finest writers for the school newspaper, and one of the brightest young minds there. In fact, it seems like Ben is going to be set for whatever else he does for the rest of his life, but the only problem is that he's not sure what exactly that something is. Ben doesn't want to go to graduate school, but he's also not sure what kind of job he would like to have, now that he isn't listening to his parents' advice and just doing as well as he can in the American education system. This is the predicament that Ben faces when he returns home after graduating. Ben returns home to a graduation party in a rich part of Los Angeles, but everyone continues to persist in asking him what he wants to do with his life, which he still doesn't know. Additionally, Ben's life takes an even more unexpected turn when the seductive Mrs. Robinson, an attractive housewife that just happens to be one of Ben's closest family friends, convinces Ben to have a fling with her. As Ben struggles to decipher between right and wrong, he must also take the delicate path of picking the next chapter of his life, all while attempting to discover who he is in the process.

 The Graduate is an emotional roller coaster that showcases the mindset of a young graduate that is unable to figure out what's going to happen to him for the rest of his life. This is the type of intense thinking that nearly all graduates must go through, especially nowadays, when people try to decide what career path will most likely define and burden the majority of their life. It is the fear of choosing wrong that scares people the most, and this is no different from Ben Braddock. Ben was someone who exceeded in the classroom, getting top marks and doing whatever it took to ensure that he would have a good future. However, now that the future has arrived for Ben, he simply does not know what to do. Ben has always listened to his parents, but that isn't an option anymore, which makes him a perfect candidate for blending in with counterculture. 

 The Graduate is so complex because of its ability to tie together the main characters' actions with the personality and heart of the time period going on. The 1960s were a time of counterculture, differing from the past two decades where many just tried to follow everyone else and had to struggle in the conniving world of corporate America. However, when counterculture began to take place, it was common to rebel against normality and have someone take their own path, which is exactly what Ben Braddock attempts to do. He's listened to his parents as far as he could, but it is time for Ben to branch out, trust his gut and set out and do whatever he wants to accomplish. This perfectly highlights the concept of counterculture, while also making it relatable and likable. Additionally, this concept is applied to some extremes, causing Ben to do some truly crazy things, some of which are too good to spoil. 

 The Graduate is widely considered a classic by many, and for plenty of good reason. The movie was able to break boundaries for the cinematic industry, especially due to the relationship between Mrs. Robinson and Ben, and there is just so much emotion and passion infused into the story that it absolutely deserves to be seen. From appealing to audiences of all ages to making viewers laugh in joy with some truly shocking surprises, this is definitely a must-see. 


The author's comments:

"It's like I was playing some kind of game, but the rules don't make any sense to me. They're being made up by all the wrong people. I mean no one makes them up. They seem to make themselves up." - Ben Braddock