Casablanca | Teen Ink

Casablanca

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Casablanca proves to be one of the greatest films in the history of cinema and not only does it live up to all of the hype, but it surpasses it with one of the most pure stories in all of Hollywood that has aged like a fine wine. Taking place during the heart of World War II, Europe is beginning to fall to pieces as the majority of the world's history tumbles down along with it. Millions of Europeans are having their lives shattered by Nazis and many are saying goodbye to their families for the final time. In order to escape the mess that has become the continent of Europe, refugees must attempt to go from town to town in still-free France to escape occupied Paris. Those looking for a getaway out must eventually reach Lisbon, where they can grab a plane to America, the prospering New World that seems to be the only safe place still in existence. However, before people can get to Lisbon, since that might be even more difficult to get to, many also venture to Casablanca, a French city in Morocco. It is there where the movie centers around Rick Blaine, a tough and arrogant saloon owner that sticks his neck out for nobody. Rick is a mysterious fellow that doesn't like to sit with the customers, doesn't like to get too involved with anybody, including women and friends, and it seems like Rick is only interested in what's best for himself. Rick comes across as an isolated, solitary fellow that doesn't like to rely on others, going as far as to play chess by himself. However, Rick's life quickly gets turned upside down when he encounters the beautiful Isla, an old flame from Paris that Rick had thought was going to be his soulmate. With Isla in town with her husband, Victor Laszlo, a resistance leader attempting to defeat the Nazis, it seems like Isla and Rick's lives are going to be intertwined once more. Victor is wanted by the Germans, so he is trying to flee to America for his freedom, and although it is nearly impossible to get hands on even one visa, Isla quickly learns that Rick is able to help. However, Isla understands that going to Rick means a whole can of worms will be opened and make things that much more complicated. 
 Casablanca truly is one of the greatest movies of all time with its elegiac plot that proves to be exhilarating and wholeheartedly consuming. There's a mysterious feel to the movie, and as clues to the past are revealed, the movie becomes that much more intriguing as audiences feel their attentions getting captured. The true story of the movie is certainly one of the best of all time, if not the best, and clicks on all levels. The beginning of the movie may start off slightly slow for some, but it quickly becomes that much more fast-paced, and as this happens, the film's brilliance shows. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the plot along with some thorough character development and plenty of moments to allow characters shine at their finest. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be a wild adventure that is suspenseful, dramatic and just so unexpectedly smart that it can only be truly described through experiencing it. 

Casablanca is a beautiful movie that captures the raw mentality of what it was like to live through World War II. Many of the actors and actresses in the movie were actually emotional about what was going on in real life, due to how they or their families were affected, and lots of this emotion and passion comes through. Additionally, Rick Blaine is a perfect representation of America's isolationism in the war at time, with his mindset of sticking his head out for nobody. Without spoiling what comes next, Rick soon has a change of heart that is definitely a calling for America to enter the war and do what's right not just for the sake of it, but also to help the millions in Europe. 

Casablanca has just about it all, including a spectacular story, a talented cast and an excellent execution that concisely and cohesively unites everything together. Humphrey Bogart is superb as Rick Blaine, and as an actor that had never really been the head-honcho before, he more than lives up to expectations and becomes one of the greatest leads ever. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an outstanding 98% but even that impressive score still feels too low for a movie that has stood against the test of time and remained one of the most memorable movies in all of history. As a true classic that reinvented film cinema for good, this is an absolute must-see for people of all ages. It's that earnestly phenomenal. 

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." - Rick Blaine