Spider-Man: Homecoming | Teen Ink

Spider-Man: Homecoming

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Spider-Man: Homecoming is the first solo Spider-Man movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and continues the adventures of everyone's favorite web-slinging superhero. Back from fighting alongside a few Avengers while in Germany and thrilled to the brim with the breathtaking experience that only comes once in a lifetime, a young Peter Parker returns back to New York and once again lives with his Aunt May. Peter Parker begins to embrace his life as a superhero that fights crime under the alias of Spider-Man, and with the help of Tony Stark, who has more than just a little experience in being a superhero, Tony acts as a mentor and Peter starts to truly embrace the new identity of being a superhero. However, Peter Parker also attempts trying to go back to having a normal life, but even that becomes a challenge when he must balance between his school life, social life, extracurricular life, and being Spider-Man. Because of this, Peter Parker feels torn at what to do, since before all else, Peter is just a teenager trying to fit in. Additionally, Peter wants to prove to both himself and to the world that he is more than capable of being more than just a friendly neighborhood Spider-Man and is capable of being one of Earth's mightiest heroes, like the Avengers. Although Peter thinks he wants to have a bigger challenge, so much so that he is distracted by that thought, he is put to the test when a mysterious, new villain arises known as the Vulture that emerges with plans to hurt everything that Peter holds dear, which is made even more challenging by the fact that the Vulture quickly discovers Peter's true identity, meaning that Peter Parker will have to use everything he's ever learned to try to stop this challenging villain. 

Spider-Man: Homecoming proves to be an exhilarating adventure that knows how to keep the adrenaline pumping. High-spirited and entertaining in its entirety, the movie carefully balances between humor and having dark concepts presented to have a tone that is mostly lighthearted, regardless of what's occurring on-screen, and this helps to make the roller coaster of an adventure quite enjoyable. The movie strikes an important chord in showcasing how difficult Peter Parker's life is when it comes to balancing all of his responsibilities, and this demonstrates that, before all else, he really is just a high school teenager trying to find his way. This adventure manages to breath new life into Spider-Man, as a cinematic character, and transforms him into a relatable, likable superhero that is just like the average person, in that he's a huge fan of other superheroes and wants to be just like them.  

Spider-Man: Homecoming is carefully plotted and manages to have a story-driven plot that flows from one point to the next in a nearly flawless manner. The beginning of the movie seamlessly transitions from what has happened in some of the other movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including why Spider-Man was in Germany and helping out Tony Stark, and it also reintroduces audiences to Peter Parker. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the adventure along and introduces new and exciting obstacles for Peter Parker that challenge him both as a superhero and as a person. The enticing ending of the movie manages to brilliantly wrap up the entire story cohesively, by tying back together with the start of the movie, and the actual conclusion of the movie manages to showcase why Spider-Man is uniquely Peter Parker, due to a few thrilling twists and turns that help to genuinely shock audiences and they make the movie substantially more interesting. 

Spider-Man: Homecoming has the rare ability to sit well with both viewers and critics alike. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an outstanding 92%, which is just as impressive as it sounds, considering that superhero movies tend to receive generally lowers scores, and a whopping 92% of Google users liked the movie, solidifying the concept that the movie is a great fit for a wide variety of audiences. 

Spider-Man: Homecoming has majestic visuals, a well-written plot, and overall a story that reinvents Spider-Man for a more modern age. Benefited by a tremendous performance from Tom Holland, who proves to be the best movie version of Spider-Man ever, Spider-Man is showcased as the character who he was always meant to be, which is a normal person with everyday struggles that is just as flawed and relatable as the people watching him. Not only will this movie triumphantly surpass any and all expectations, but it will definitely sit well with viewers and make them wish to have powers like Spider-Man. This movie does Spider-Man's long history, as a character, justice and transcends how audiences view the superhero, making this one an absolute must-see. 

"I'm sick of Mr. Stark treating me like a kid." - Peter Parker/Spider-Man