The Godfather | Teen Ink

The Godfather

January 9, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 The Godfather is considered by many to be one of the greatest movies of all time and for good reason. Based off of Mario Puzo's novel that has the same name, this drama/crime mob movie revolves around the life of a powerful Italian/American family. Don Vito Corleone is the head of the family and the head of the Italian mob in New York. Don Corleone is a powerful man in New York in the 1940s, and when someone needs a favor, he or she goes to Don. When Corleone agrees to completing the favor, he says that they're going to give them an offer that they can't refuse. His youngest son, Michael, is the most recent person to join the Mafia, but he does so reluctantly and for good reason. Michael gets involved in the violence, the dangers, and witnesses the betrayal that occurs in the dirty business. The son soon gets drawn deeper and deeper into the business and is eventually put into a difficult position that draws him to his very limit as he learns what life in the Mafia is really like. 
 The Godfather is an uncanny masterpiece and beautifully represents what the mob was like back in the 1940s. The beginning of the movie brilliantly sets the rest of the movie up, and audience are immediately introduced to the concept of how powerful of a man Don Vito Corleone actually is and his ways of life. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the movie along, and as the movie gets further along, audiences begin to get much more invested in the movie, since the characters begin to become even more emotionally rich, making viewers become more attached to the people on screen. The enticing ending proves to be everything and then some that watchers could have hoped for, managing to conclude the movie wonderfully in a triumphant manner. The movie manages to prove to be intense, realistic, suspenseful and dramatic throughout the entire. 

 The Godfather also benefits greatly from having a tremendous group of actors and actresses. The cast of the movie is simply fantastic and help to make this film one of the greats. In fact, Al Pacino and Marlon Brando give some truly spectacular performances that help to make the movie as amazing as it is. Don Vito Corleone has a become an iconic character, mostly due to Marlon's stunning performance and dedication to the role, and for good reason. The character is the face of this movie, and his voice has become just as famous, which is all because of Marlon Brando's ability to really transform into the character.

 The Godfather was revolutionary for the time, and the fact that it was made in 1972 and that it is still so popular today is just nothing short of a great testament to the movie's superbness. The actual plot of the film is just pure excellence, and it helped to prove that great movies don't need to be mindless. In fact, this movie really doesn't have that great of visual effects, because of the time period that the movie was made in, but the film doesn't need it, since it is that awesome. While modern movies seem to regularly rely on special effects, this movie doesn't need to, and even if the movie was remade today, it still wouldn't need better visuals to aid the movie, because the movie doesn't need any extra help. 
 One of the ways in which The Godfather stands out from other movies is the rare ability to be both critically acclaimed and be a fan favorite by many. The film received incredibly high reviews across the board and is more than just a little deserving of it. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 98%, and IMDb gave the movie a ridiculously high 9.2/10, which is actually quite the accomplishment, since they are known for giving generally lower scores. An outstanding 93% of Google users liked the movie, and those who didn't like the movie were probably just set off by the fact that the movie doesn't have the crispest visuals or they could have possibly been too young or not a big enough movie person to truly realize the movie's exceptionalness. 

 The Godfather is certainly one of a kind, and there really aren't that many movies out there that can be considered on the same level as this one or have the ability to see that it revolutionized the film industry.  For people who have not yet seen it, this movie cannot be recommended enough and is an absolute must see. It's fair to say that this movie is like the godfather of all other films. The Godfather is that good. 


The author's comments:

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." - Don Vito Corleone