Aquaman Review | Teen Ink

Aquaman Review

By jami2002 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia
jami2002 BRONZE, Vancouver, Columbia

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

― Mahatma Gandhi

On December 30 I went to see Aquaman in theaters, I am a big superhero movie fan and I was excited for this movie to come out. It looked good and I was hoping for this movie to save the DCEU, reviews were coming out for this movie and people were saying that it was okay, not great but not bad. So I went into the movie expecting to see a Meh movie, something that wasn't great but had some redeeming qualities to it and most of all it would make me laugh. What I got however, was so much worse. I has not expecting it to be as bad as it was, when I walked out of the theater I was trying to find something that I liked about the movie and the only thing I could think of was “I’m happy that it was over.” That is not great. After thinking about it for a little, I did manage two good things about the movie that I liked, Jason Momoa as Aquaman and Amber Heard’s hair in the movie, it is the most unrealistic colour of red hair that I have ever seen, and I love it. Jason Momoa does a good job as Aquaman, he is funny and has some good lines despite a terrible script, he makes it work. Now that I have said the good we can get into the terrible.

The first thing that I am going to say is that I don't have anything against cheesy movies or movies that are so bad that they are funny, but Aquaman is not these things. It is not bad enough to be good and not cheesy enough to work in the movie. I don't think that I have hated a movie as much as this one, I don't even think I have hated a movie before this one, but I hate Aquaman. I think that Aquaman needed some changing to become better for the movie adaptation and i really don't have anything against the character himself, I thought he was good in Justice League, but that doesn't save the movie.

Let’s talk about one of the problems, the plot. The plot is really bad, it gets to the point where halfway though the movie I know everything that is going to happen in the second half. One, find the trident, beat monster. Two, learn mom is alive. Three, stop massive Star Wars Episode I type battle. Four, kick bad guys/brothers ass. And Five, set up Black Manta v. Aquaman for sequel. I knew what was going to happen and it made the rest of the movie boarding. When I was watching the final battle sequence, I thought to myself, “Wow, I’m so bored.” I didn't care about anyone in the battle and I knew that the main characters weren't going to die because they have been shown to be so overpowered that nothing in the battle could hurt them. It was just the typical action movie plot but somehow they made it even worse. In the story the bad guys have a quest, the bad guys, and it just drags the move out and makes it so boring.  

Something else that bothered me was the script. It is just horendice, there are so many, And I mean so many bad lines. They are bland and vert cliesha that i could anticipate what a character was going to say, and say it with them. There are jokes that don't land and it seems like they are waiting for laughter. There are lines that they think are good when they aren't. The script has many problems but that when you are watching the movie it is really distracting. Overall it is not the worst part of the movie.

I think that if i were to pick a worst part in the movie I would either give it to the CGI or the terrible actors. First I have heard by many people that the CGI is so great and Disney should be taking notes for the Little Mermaid because this is how it should be done. If that is the case then the Little Mermaid will be so bad. The fight sese look terrible, they somehow make a bunch of the actors look like robots made to look like humans and then there is the CGI hair. The hair when underwater is made to look like it is moving so when the shot the movie everyone had their hair tied back so the animators could out their hair in, well they did that and it is honestly so bad. If another movie company had CGI like this it would be called a disaster. It is in the level of the CGI mustache from Justice League. It is so distracting, all of the underwater people that are CGI are really bad and other then maybe Atlantis, it was bad. I will also say that when they went to the center of the earth to find the mom and the trident they had dinosaurs, like for no reason. No one comments on it and we never see them again, but I just know someone saw that scene without dinosaurs and went, “No, we are at the center of the earth and everyone know that at the center of the earth there are dinosaurs.” So they put them in just because they could and it is really weird. The other thing is the actors, many of them are really bad. I’m not saying that the actors themselves are bad but they are in this movie. Willem Dafoe really didn't try every hard, I dare to say that he phoned it in for this performance. Nicole Kidman was so stiff and uninteresting that it is actually surprising because she is a good actress. It also takes talent to make her look bad but they managed to do just that. All the kids that they got to play younger versions of Aquaman should quit acting because they were just so bad, I have seen people in my school do a million times better than they did. Everyone is the cast was bad, Dolph Lundgren was a terrible villain and Temuera Morrison didn't really do anything other then talk in the same voice and be messed up by CGI in the beginning.

Overall this was a bad movie, it doesn't deserve all the love and praise that it is getting and I really wish that I went back for my money. I wanted to walk out but I wanted to know how they wrapped it up in the end, but even that was a disappointment. I really don't mean to be so negative but his movie just makes me so mad that I had to say something. My advice to a superhero, don't kiss in the middle of the battle because literally thousands of merpeople died when Aquaman and Mera kissed for a good minute and a half. I advise you not to go see this movie and I give it a 2/10 prurly for Jason Momoa.

Sopiler alert for Aquaman