Best of 2018: Avengers Infinity War | Teen Ink

Best of 2018: Avengers Infinity War

By JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other
JohnBrady GOLD, Dundalk, Other

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.

As we reach the end of another stressful year, there is no better time to reflect on the best the entertainment industry had to offer in 2018. From films to tv to videogames, using a series of articles on different topics I’m going to save you precious binging time by listing the very best of entertainment you missed last year.

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ is awesome. There are so many enjoyable aspects in this film. To start, Marvel has fixed many, if not all, the problems that plagued many other films in the franchise. In the first five minutes of the film, there are serious stakes introduced through a great villain who creates real change by killing one of my favorite Marvel characters. High stakes, a great villain and (hopefully) lasting change in five minutes! The fact that they fixed all these issues would have been enough to leave me satisfied. But after the opening was over, there were still two hours and thirty-five amazing minutes left in the movie.
The work behind the scenes for this film is unbelievable. The Russo brothers (directors Anthony and Joe Russo) will get a lot of credit for this film. It’s not undeserved. Yet screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely should not be forgotten in the Russo brothers’ wake. The screenplay is fantastic and possibly the greatest balancing act of all time. It takes advantage of each major character’s flaws and strengths. That’s no small feat considering there are roughly 30 major characters in the film.
It also balanced the funny tone that Marvel is known for, and the dark, hopeless tone that a film with the title “Infinity War” needs. Most importantly, the story is ballsy. There are 14-character deaths in this film. A Marvel film. We can assume that most of them are coming back because Spiderman and Black Panther are just too profitable. However, to still have that many popular characters killed at one time, is a courageous move for a production company.

“Avengers: Infinity War” is a massive cinematic achievement. It fixed the M.C.U.’s problems in five minutes. It had a fantastic screenplay. It balances the comedic moments that the franchise is known for with dark moments that hammer home the high stakes and add real weight to the film. More importantly, it makes a 16-year-old boy look back at his six-year-old self and remember his eyes being glued to “Iron Man” and feeling completely blown away. I won’t be alone in this feeling. I feel like I don’t even need to tell you to watch this film because if you still haven’t seen it, you’ve likely already been told to watch it.
Make sure to look out for more in my best of 2018 series. There’s still plenty more brilliant entertainment to discuss.