Fantastic Beast 2- The Crimes of Grindelwald | Teen Ink

Fantastic Beast 2- The Crimes of Grindelwald

December 27, 2018
Muhammad-Aizaz-Salahudddin SILVER, Lahore, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Nothing is more creative . . . nor destructive . . . than a brilliant mind with a purpose."
- Dan Brown


            As a proud and slightly over the top fan of the wizarding world, I felt obligated to put Fantastic Beast 2: The Crimes of Grindelwald at the top of the list for movies to watch due to my exams. The storyline was fresh and thrilling and I anxiously waited to see the character of Grindelwald (Johnny Depp) being fully delivered to us fans.

            Paying Rs.1500 (about $13) for tickets and snacks was no pleasure but the hope that the movie would be worth it kept my spirit alive. I settled into the recliner chairs and as always, began munching on the popcorn far before the movie started.

            Alas, the movie started and I tingled with excitement, but to my annoyance, my mom and dad who sat to my left were babbling about something far less important.

            Well… here I must confess, I don’t really quite remember how the movie began, though I do remember the synopsis of course, really that’s for probably for the better considering hardly anyone has seen the movie yet, so don’t worry, NO spoilers ahead.

            Honestly, the movie began pretty well, with the introduction of the characters: Credence (Erza Miller), Queenie, Grindelwald, and obviously our favourites Albus (Jude Law) and Newt (Eddie Redmayne). We are told the plan of Grindelwald, which was pretty reasonable, but dark. A bit like Thanos’s plan. And, yes we are taken to our favourite wizarding school we all wish to study in: Hogwarts.

            The story kept developing, the scenes began to get tenser and even more awesome duels were fought but the movie was close to ending and no signs of a resolution were being shown. And just when the audience was at the edge of their seats, the credits flashed in your face. All that buildup for a sequel, I’ve been played, I thought. I knew I had wasted my money and probably should’ve watched it on television, but at the same time, I knew the obvious sequel that was to come would incite me even more. The few people in the cinema room exited with sighs and grunts and my parents gave me a tiresome look and said, “I didn’t even understand half of what was happening” “So Credence is Dumbledore’s br…?” (oops, almost let out a major spoiler.) ‘Get ready for an hour-long explanation in the car’ I thought.

            I’m no movie expert but this movie was just incomplete, the story was good and the buildup was great but it felt like a really long advertisement for the next one. Which I bet will be great. But again the full of suspense ending had me yearning to know what happened next, which isn’t a bad thing but again… the movie was incomplete.

            So then, my advice to you is that if you haven’t already seen the movie, don’t waste the money at the cinema, and just wait for it to come to television. Just keep in mind, all this is my own opinion, and you can have your own. So maybe you’ll love the movie, or maybe you’ll dislike the movie much more than me. If you really wanted to watch the movie, go ahead. I didn’t write this to try and suppress the movie. And if you’ve already watched the movie, I’d be interested to know what you thought about it.