Review of Bohemian Rhapsody | Teen Ink

Review of Bohemian Rhapsody MAG

By Esteban12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Esteban12 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

An astrophysicist, a dentist, an electronics guy, and an art school graduate all come together in “Bohemian Rhapsody,” the long-awaited biopic on the rock band Queen.

This movie is a great mix of music fandom and a dive into Freddie Mercury’s (Rami Malek) life. This movie is not made for non-Queen fans, as some background knowledge is needed to understand some of what is happening, and the movie includes many of the band’s hit songs. This film delves into what most Queen fans wanted – to know more about the late lead singer’s personal life, as he was one of the first openly LGBT celebrities. This movie did that well, exploring Mercury’s first relationship with his wife Mary (Lucy Boynton) and his abusive relationship with his manager (played by Allen Leech), who manipulated Mercury and used Queen’s fame to his advantage.

One of the most important parts of this movie is obviously the music. Many of Queen’s hits are played in their entirety, and the process behind the making of “Bohemian Rhapsody” and “Another One Bites the Dust” is shown. The film highlights a few interesting facts about other band members, namely their backgrounds as college graduates with degrees in fields you wouldn’t expect a typical rocker to have. When they are on screen, however, these characters have minimal dialogue. I was expecting more in terms of the lives of other band members; they are still alive and it would be interesting to see their early band days played out more in the movie.

Rami Malek played the role of the flamboyant lead singer to perfection. Not only did he look the part, he also mimicked Mercury’s unique on-stage presence that made him famous. He was able to capture the confusion, excitement, and confidence Mercury felt on and off stage. His accent was spot on, and, with a little help from costumes and fake teeth implants, was able to look just like him. Director Bryan Singer did a good job keeping the audience engaged with the pacing of the music and interesting dialogue.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” was disappointing in terms of its minimal look into the other band members’ lives. The film also skips large events in the band’s history; the band’s origin is highlighted, but not in depth. The film even seems to delve too far into certain parts of the lead singer’s life. Despite this, “Bohemian Rhapsody” is a great tribute to the Queen, its music, and how they changed the music scene by making a six-minute mash up of random lyrics, creating one of the most famous pieces of music ever made. I recommend it for Queen fans.

A review for the new movie Bohemian Rhapsody