The Nun | Teen Ink

The Nun

December 9, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 The Nun is a horror movie that might just be the scariest one in the Conjuring franchise. Taking place in the year 1952, the movie follows the horrific events that occur after a Romanian nun takes her own life. When the church asks a priest who has experience with paranormal activities and conducting exorcisms is asked to investigate the abbey where the nun was at, along with a novitiate who is on the verge of taking her vows and becoming a nun, the duo travels all the way from Vatican City to Romania, where they meet up with a local farmer who discovered the nun's dead body. The trio soon realizes that their worst fears have been realized, and a demonic force, who takes the shape of a nun, is haunting the place and trying to enter the world and spread its evil. 
 The Nun isn't the best horror movie of all time or even in the Conjuring franchise, but it manages to be a suspenseful movie that has an incredibly eerie vibe to it. Even though the plot of the movie isn't the strongest and has more than just a fair share of holes, this isn't the type of the movie that relies on the plot. Instead, the movie relies on generating fear from the concept of having an evil nun and demons that aren't only manipulative but are also not afraid of getting their hands dirty. The beginning and the middle of the movie don't accomplish anything that remarkable or brilliant, but the enticing ending connects the movie amazingly with the rest of the franchise and actually acts as a fantastic prequel to the other movies.  
 The Nun isn't able to become that triumphant of a hit, which is a shame, especially when considering that there was so much potential to be had with the terrifying concept of having an evil nun. However, the movie does manage to create a horrifying atmosphere that gives audiences chills down their spines, and the film does have a good amount of intense jump scares, which are a necessity for all great horror flicks. The movie isn't really that cohesive with all of its parts, but it does have some highlights, and most of them are when the nun is showcasing her demonic powers. There are definitely more than just a few creepy scenes, which is what the movie wanted to create, so in that regard, the movie is a success.
 Although The Nun doesn't exactly sit that well with critics, fans still seem to not be that disappointed with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an extremely poor 27%, and IMDb gave the movie a not-so-great 5.5/10. However, 85% of Google users liked the movie, which is a good sign. These scores help to indicate that the movie tends to act best when viewers are only looking for a movie that is meant for just pure entertainment and for getting scared. 
 The Nun certainly isn't for everyone, but for those who are looking for a truly thrilling horror movie that is sure to frighten even the most tough of audiences, this is definitely a good choice. 


The author's comments:

"What's the opposite of a miracle, Father?" - Frenchie