The Breakfast Club | Teen Ink

The Breakfast Club

October 5, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

The Breakfast Club revolves around a group of high school students on a Saturday detention. There are five students, and the school classifies them as: a brain, a princess, an athlete, a basket case, and a criminal. Although none of the kids really know each other or have much in common, they soon find themselves bonding over a common enemy in a power-hungry principal, who's in charge of the detention. Throughout the long detention, the strange group of misfits tell his or her own story, forcing the others to see them in a new light. By the end, they realize that they all aren't so different and wonder whether or not their school will ever be the same again. 

 

The plot of the movie is superb and showcases how high schoolers actually act and feel, not to mention how they are divided by terms like athlete or brains. The Breakfast Club manages to combine a spectacular beginning that introduces relatable characters, a mind-blowing middle that never fails to keep the audience entertained, and an Earth-shattering end that is able to take the film to the next level, making it an instant classic. The beginning of the movie and the end of the movie are connected and help to create a cohesive story that demonstrates everything that the creators hoped to make. As great as the beginning and the middle are, the ending of the movie is truly spectacular, awesome, and captures the essence of what The Breakfast Club tried to accomplish. Not to be outdone, but the movie is scary realistic, and it's hard not to imagine actual high schoolers acting in similar ways as the main characters. The Breakfast Club elucidates real themes that are applicable to actual high schoolers, which is not an easy task, by showing how difficult adolescent lives are and how misunderstood they really are. 

 

The dialogue in the movie is incredibly creative, original and helps to shape one of the greatest movies of all time, as well as gifting the movie some iconic scenes and brilliant one-liners. 


 Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie an 88%, but that feels way too low, considering how powerful this movie is and how nearly perfect it is. 94% of Google users liked the movie, which is fairly impressive, and this feels like a more appropriate rating for this unprecedented movie that forever revolutionized the film industry. In the simplest terms, this movie is a fantastically wonderful must see that is absolutely worth the time to go ahead and watch. 


The author's comments:

"We're all bizarre, some of us are just better at hiding it." - Andrew Clark