A Wrinkle in Time movie review | Teen Ink

A Wrinkle in Time movie review

By Mr_Swiss BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Mr_Swiss BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

A Wrinkle in Time is based on the bestselling novel A wrinkle in time by Madeleine L'Engle. This movie has top notch cgi from the tesseract portals to the giant leaf creature. Ava Duvernay did an amazing job directing this work of art and casting some amazing actors and actresses including Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, and Mindy Kaling. They played the Mrs’s while the movie also included celebrities such as Chris Pine, Storm Reid, and Levi Miller. Since this movie was quite different from the book, for example the book included other aliens to help take out the darkness which the movie didn’t have, might have been why it wasn’t a big hit. It only got 40% on rotten tomatoes and 4.2 out of 10 on IMDB.

This movie is about Meg and her little brother Charles Wallace along with a classmate, calvin, are thrown into a world of mystery. They meet up with the Mrs’s who include Mrs. Who played by Mindy Kaling, Mrs. Whatsit played by Reese Witherspoon, and Mrs. Which played by Oprah. The Mrs’s try to help them find their Dad who has been missing for four years. They figure out that he has been trapped inside the darkness, but the Mrs’s cannot travel their. So Meg and her companions have to go rescue him. When Charles Wallace is taken by the it, they have to save him and somehow miraculously survive this ordeal. This movie also has really good actors that make you feel emotion whether it be happiness, sadness, or even suspense.

Although some parts of the movie were good, most were not. One main scene of the movie that I really didn’t like is when Mrs. Whatsit turns into a giant leaf and carries the children. First of all, WHAT THE HECK, a giant leaf in the book she turned into a pegasus. Secondly, the kids were flying a few feet off of the leaf, how did they not just blow away into mid air. Another thing that bothered me were the costumes which were just crazy and not very magical at all.

A movie review