A Wrinkle in Time Movie Review | Teen Ink

A Wrinkle in Time Movie Review

July 11, 2018
By lbrunner12 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
lbrunner12 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The movie, A Wrinkle in Time, directed by Ava DuVernay is an interesting movie that has many nail-biting plot twists that lead up to somewhat of an easily expected ending. This movie is an interesting format as there are not many, if any movies that follow a series of events even close to what this movie shows us. Some may think this movie is an interesting twist from reality, but others may think this movie is very easy to expect and guess what is about to happen along the adventures.


This film follows the plot of the main character named Meg Murry, played by Katie Stuart whos dad tries to “shake hands with the universe.” This turns out to be a mistake on his part due to the fact that he gets lost and eventually trapped in the universe along the way. Meg Murry sets out to find her lost dad with help from her friend Calvin O’keefe, played by Levi Miller and her brother, Charles Wallace played by Deric McCabe. These three are also helped by Ms. Who, Ms. Whatsit and Ms. Which whos special abilities guide Meg, Calvin and Charles Wallace to Meg’s dad. Through many difficulties, the three end up saving her dad, despite Charles Wallace going to the dark side for a few minutes.


The characters in this movie are very influential and mean a lot to how the plot ended up developing. Especially with Ms. Who, Ms. Whatsit and Ms. Which, the characters really adapted to their role and went full out trying the best as possible to match the original characters. Along with the characters came vibrant, bright costumes to appeal to the viewer. These costumes mean a lot to the story and show many details very clearly and specifically based on each person’s ability.


The visuals in this movie are absolutely stunning. The cast was able to move and shape the ground in order to create a 3d effect on the viewer. The ground and surrounding during certain scenes sway in a very mind-boggling way that you have never seen before. While others may find this weird and confusing, I believe all the special effects were very interesting and showed how things may look in our wildest dreams.


In all this movie was good, but there were a few funny quirks that maybe could have been changed to allow the younger viewer to process everything that was going on and allow them to follow the plot more easily. I personally have never read the book that this movie was based off of, but many people tell me that the movie was nothing like the original book and from someone's perspective who has never read the book this is fine but from what I hear this book may have gotten better reviews had it been based specifically off the book more. Overall, though this movie was very interesting and had a very different approach to a plot which was very much unlike what I had expected.


The author's comments:

Review of the movie, A Wrinkle in Time