Princess Bride Movie Review | Teen Ink

Princess Bride Movie Review

By lbrunner12 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
lbrunner12 BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado

The film, the Princess Bride, directed by Rob Reiner is a very interesting movie due to its change of scene often and how much the characters truly make the movie flow well. To begin, this movie starts with a grandpa coming over to his grandsons house to read a book to him. This book is the Princess Bride. The real movie takes place but it often ties back to the grandfather reading the book as his grandson often interrupts to comment on how gross romance is. This connection is very funny and relatable to young audiences. The movie has many important events including kidnapping a princess, and reviving her true love after he has been tortured by the prince. At the end of the book though, the protagonists defeat the antagonists in a jaw dropping series of events including many sword fights and cleverness.

The many lead characters in this movie include Prince Humperdinck played by Chris Sarandon, Westley played by Cary Elwes and Inigo Montoya played by Mandy Patinkin. These characters are very important and seem to work very well together as the film is very popular and has very high reviews. The characters seem not to develop throughout the movie as we see in other popular films but the characters stick to what and who they believe in and do not change their mind drastically during the movie.

The music in this movie was very influential of the overall mood of the movie. It was very obvious when the mood changed because the music changed. For example, during an action part, the music got very tense and exciting whereas during a romantic part is was almost the opposite; calm, soothing and relaxing. This distinction has become less clear in recent films that I have seen but I think it is very important because it plays a large role in how the viewer might interpret not only a certain scene, but it may change their view on the movie as a whole.

The visuals in the movie such as the setting were very pretty and clear as they showed definitely where everything was happening. Despite this though, I believe there could have been a bit more change in setting as in many scenes the rocks and surrounding areas looked very similar to the scenes before it. Overall however the fact that this movie is relatively old the setting is not terrible but maybe a bit more change could have been nice because the only two places the viewer sees people in is a forest and in rocks in mountains.

In all this film is very moving and descriptive yet it is also very easy to follow unlike other movies that were made around this time area. The beginning and end is very interesting with the grandfather and grandson reading the book and how that is unlike modern day in which technology rules many things. The characters, music and visuals truly bring this movie to life and that is one of the reasons many people, young and old watch this movie today.

This is a review of the film, the Princess Bride