Incredibles 2 | Teen Ink

Incredibles 2

By ryanhu PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey
ryanhu PLATINUM, West Windsor, New Jersey

Don't cry that it's over, because it happened.

As I walked into the familiar, popcorn scented theater, only one thought ran through my mind: “I’ve waited over a decade for this.” Indeed, it has been a decade and a half since the first movie came out, and finally, after all this time, the sequel was released, the long-awaited Incredibles 2. I still remember the aftermath of the first one, back when I was a child too young to comprehend the meaning and themes of the movie, and how amazed I was by this animation. Alongside other movies like Finding Nemo, The Lion King, and Mulan, the Incredibles went down as some of the greatest children’s movies of all time. Now, even as I have grown into a teenager, the sweet memories I reminisce of about the Incredibles compelled me to watch the second. Approaching the movie, I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect, with the plot being a little uncertain, except for the fact it comes directly following the first one. As a result from my years of movie watching experience, I have grown to learn that generally, movie sequels that do not follow a book series generally aren’t as good as the previous one, so I went into the theater with high hopes, but a slight wariness.

After watching the movie, my expectations were definitely met, if not surpassed. Compared to its predecessor, Incredibles 2 is quite a different movie, yet is still great in its own way. This movie was much more entertaining to watch, with countless moments of humor and unexpected amusement that keeps the viewer hooked and interested. Not a second throughout the movie was I bored, and I could feel myself drawn into the movie more with each minute. In addition to this entertainment, there were also many other factors that were components of the movie, with some dark moments here and there and some strong, inspirational family occurrences as well. Although the dark events were downplayed and made less intimidating, it is a children’s film and it fit into the script. The only aspect that could’ve used improvement was the storyline, as compared to the previous one, with a well-developed plot and well-explained characters, the sequel felt a little lacking on the plot, and could’ve used a little more development for the characters or a more clear climax. Overall, it was a very solid movie with alot of entertainment and a satisfying ending.

Despite its rating as PG, I would recommend Incredibles 2 for people of all ages, as long as you have watched the previous one. Although some people may not enjoy the somewhat childish aspect of the movie, it is very entertaining, and fits into a general kind of humor that relates to most people. I would definitely recommend this to people who want a good laugh and are less focused on a dramatic storyline.