A Mango-Shaped Space | Teen Ink

A Mango-Shaped Space

By purplegurl12345 BRONZE, Rosemount, Minnesota
purplegurl12345 BRONZE, Rosemount, Minnesota

'From the moment I read a story by Wendy Mass I knew she was a writer to watch.'
-Judy Blume

I totally agree with the famous author. I never knew (or even heard) about synesthesia (pronounces sin-es-thee-ja) until I read this phenomenal book by Wendy Mass.

Eighth-grader Mia Winchell is a pretty normal kid. She likes hanging out with her best friend Jenna, listening to music, and cuddling with her pet cat, Mango. But at the same time, Mia is extremely different. Sounds, letters, and numbers have colors for her. For example, she might see your name as sky-blue with purple stripes.
After a horrible and embarrassing incident in the third grade, Mia classifies herself as a freak because she sees everything in color. And its getting her into trouble too. She's failing math!
As Mia embarks on a journey that will reveal who she is, and that her colors aren't bad, she meets a wide variety of interesting people. But in the midst of all this, Mia loses something that she loves the most.
I recommend you check out this book right now, because not only will you see through the perspective of a synesthete, you will read a touching story that leads straight to your heart.

on May. 31 2010 at 6:53 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

It is pretty cool :) But most people do have it to an extent...dig a little. I'm sure you are at least a little synesthetic! :)

on May. 15 2010 at 6:59 pm
That is so cool! I think it would be amazing to see things in color like that. 

on May. 12 2010 at 4:30 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

Me too! :(

on May. 12 2010 at 4:30 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

I loved this book too! I especially loved it because it led me to discover that I, too, am a synesthete! Words and numbers (as well as music) have colour for me too, but unlike Mia, it's subtler - I don't see them right in front of me, I just see them in my mind.

on Oct. 24 2009 at 5:44 pm
tennisislovee34 GOLD, Sterling Heights, Michigan

"Every moment of your life, you're writing. Even in your dreams, you're writing. When you walk the halls in this school you meet various people and you write furiously in your head." -Frank McCourt

what is the book called?

on Apr. 3 2009 at 5:55 pm
Mandiella DIAMOND, Plaistow, New Hampshire

Don't waste time. Start procrastinating now.

I read this book and it was one of the best novels I ever read. I sobbed when I read the climax!