Twilight by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

December 20, 2016
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Myths and legends have dominated the world since they were first told. Passed down by elders, these stories were told and retold, until paper was invented and people could write these stories down. From there, these books went from generation to generation, until a family gave the book to the world, and anyone can read the stories now, from public libraries to going to a store and finding the “folk” section. To us these stories are silly and fun to think of something paranormal happening in our world. Yet these myths did not just come out of thin air, they must have happened at one point. If these things happen thousands of year ago, who says they are not currently here, walking among us, ready to relieve who they truly are.

Isabella (Bella) Swan is moving from her sunshine home in Phoenix, Arizona, to live with her dad in the rainiest place on the planet: Forks, Washington. Her parents were young when they got married, had her, then her mother realizes she does not want to spend the rest of her life in Forks, took Bella and ran. Now her mother is with Phil, someone she loves with all her heart. Because of Phil’s job he has to move around a lot, causing separation as her mom had to stay with Bella. Becoming more middle age by the second, seventeen-year-old Bella makes the decision to live with her father, in order for her mother to follow Phil and his baseball career. Being a good mother, she tries to talk Bella out of it, but failed. Bella packs her bag and moves to Forks, a place she hates, in order for her mother’s happiness.

It rains about five days a week in Forks, leaving the other two cloudy and miserable. Bella, who lives in the sunshine, feels sick and longs for home. Being the new kid at a school, where the peers been together since they were born, Bella is the eyesight and main topic of the school since day one. Making friends she did not want, she became the target to every single boy in her entire grade. Avoiding the majority of the boys, there is one that catches Bella’s eyes: Edward Cullen. Edward, the youngest of the Cullen’s, had no interest in girls at their school, according to Jessica. Still, Bella felt something stirring for Edward, something she could not ignore.

Bella knew how irrational it is, but she was determined to find out Edward’s secret. “I turned slowly, unwillingly. I didn’t want to feel what I knew I would feel when I looked at his too-perfect face.” Edward was someone Bella could not figure out. First he was angry at her, then her friend, only to say they could never be friends. “What if I’m not a superhero? What if I’m the bad guys?” Edward, for his part, try to stay away from Bella, but like her, he finds something in her that makes him want to stay, regardless how dangerous it is. “Your number was up the first time I met you.” True love happens once, and once you find your soul mate it is hard to let them go. To Bella, Edward is her soul mate, someone she loves a little too much, and would do anything to be with him, even if being with him may cause her death. “About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him – and I didn’t know how potent that part might be – that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.”

Stephenie Meyer story of Twilight has been loved and hated, as it became a pop sensation overnight. Released in 2007, the story became a movie in 2008 starring Kristen Stewart as Bella and Robert Pattinson as Edward. The story itself though is something else. See the quality of writing is not that great, about average for young adult novels. The unforbidden love between Bella and Edward is not uncommon either, nor is the “vampire and human love” concept of the story. What made people go crazy over this story was how common Bella is. Yes, Bella, a seventeen year old, who likes to read, hates the sun, took advanced placement biology, Bella is the typical teenage girl you can find at your local high school. Slightly depress, extremal independent, cannot dance, and above high school drama, Bella is so ordinary it hurts to read about. Then suddenly the hottest male in the school (Edward) falls head over heels with her, and she does the same. Suddenly ordinary Bella becomes something of importance as the Cullen’s are willing to protect her from no matter what. The love between the two of them are gushing between the pages, making you wish someone loved you as much as Edward. The story is also unpredictable in some ways, as Edward goes through incredible mood swings as he tries to decide what is best for Bella: him leaving her, or staying to protect. This story, no matter how poorly written, will keep you on your feet, watching as Bella faces death, pain and loss, but gain the love of her soul mate: Edward Cullen. 


The author's comments:

Unforgiving lvoe