The Mortal Instruments | Teen Ink

The Mortal Instruments

March 5, 2016
By Oreo4 GOLD, Welch, Minnesota
Oreo4 GOLD, Welch, Minnesota
10 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Books are practically my life. Even though it’s cliche, it’s true. Almost all my free time is used reading series after series. Sometimes, I have to read about others’ lives to experience a new view. Everyone seems to have read one book or another, possibly even a series like the “Berenstain Bears” or “Harry Potter.”  I check back from time to time, by looking up funny quotes online about my favorite characters. No matter how many quotes I look up, I never get tired of my favorite series, “The Mortal Instruments.” This series is my favorite because it has romance, action, and magical fiction.


Romance keeps things interesting, even when they aren’t fighting. It also prevents the younger kids from reading it. Additionally, it makes for more variety in readers, from adolescent to adult. The following are two of my favorite romantic quotes: “There is no pretending,’ Jace said with absolute clarity. ‘I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I’ll love you then.’ ‘And now I’m looking at you,’  he said, ‘and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before - bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it - but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.” The whole series has a romantic feel throughout. I, personally, enjoy romance in books because it makes the characters seem humane and relatable. It also gives the books more of an emotional touch, rather than just fighting. Nonetheless, I still like action better.


“She closed her eyes and jumped. For a moment, she felt herself hang suspended, free of everything. Then, gravity took over, and she plunged toward the floor.” These books have action throughout and especially towards the end of each book. Also keeping it it moving, action increases, many characters die, and some get injured. In this book series, action is very important to the plotline. When someone is wounded, or dies, it can be very emotional. If they are a villain, I could get angry with them. If they are the protagonist, I could cry for hours. Clarissa Clare, the author of “The Mortal Instruments,” has done a wonderful job of specifically describing the characters feelings. Clare describes detail to a point where I can see exactly what he/she is doing or feeling, while fighting, or even taking a nice stroll through the park. She makes it seem almost over described. The “Mortal Instruments” has a lot imagery, one after another, and uses great describing words. “Instinctively, she pulled her arms and legs in, keeping her eyes squeezed shut. The cord pulled taut and she rebounded, flying back up before falling again. As her velocity slowed, she opened her eyes and found herself dangling at the end of the cord, about 5 feet above Jace. He was grinning. ’Nice,’ he said. ’As graceful as a falling snowflake.’” Clare is not only great at coming up with describing words, but is also creative in coming up with magical creatures and objects.


My favorite category in the book series is magical fiction. It’s so creative, yet makes perfect sense. Most of the myths in the series refer to vampires burning in light, werewolves who die from silver, and warlocks who have powers. Here is a quote to demonstrate magical fiction. ”The first morning Simon had been at Amatis house, a grinning lycanthrope had showed up on the doorstep with a live cat for him. ’Blood,’ he’d said in a heavily accented voice.’ For you. Fresh!’ Simon thanked the werewolf, waited for him to leave, and let the cat go, his expression faintly green. ’Well your going to have to get your blood from somewhere,’ said Luke, looking amused. ‘ I have a pet cat,’ Simon replied. ’There’s no way.’” The magical fiction in these books give it a whimsical feel, excellently far fetched. Due to this, and although I know it could never happen to me, I find myself dreaming about it.


Romance, action, and magical fiction are my three favorite genres that make up my favorite series, “The Mortal Instruments.” I like romance because it keeps it interesting even when they aren’t fighting. The action is the most important to the plot, and can be emotional. Magical fiction is my favorite of the three genres because it is very creative, and keeps thee series unique. Even though I have peeked back on the characters, I know they are there waiting for me, just one computer click away.