The Giver | Teen Ink

The Giver

By Jason Darling BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
Jason Darling BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey

How would life be different if we were to live in a community where everything is the same? A community where you were constantly monitored by video cameras and you were controlled by rules. When you compare their world and ours, there are differences, but not as much as you expect between the two. The Giver by Lois Lowry, the author uses subtlety in her writing to slowly reveal the similarities between them. For example, in our world, people in authority often use many Euphemisms to cover up the true meaning of certain statements. In other words, they 'sugar-coat' statements just as the community in The Giver do. In both worlds you have to become someone in authority to find out what truly occurs in your community, and to be able to get away from the lies that you were being told as an ordinary citizen.

The Giver is a good book because you can see that the world isn't really what it seems to be. Just as the Community in the novel, the authorities of the world keep many things away from the citizens. As you become someone in authority, just as the protagonist did, you will find out these truths in some way. This book is also wonderful because you slowly begin to reveal the similarities in the two worlds

I would recommend this book to the age ranges of 13 and up because of the complex writings of Lois Lowry, it may be difficult to people of younger ages to comprehend fully which would strip of the value of the book.

on Feb. 21 2009 at 3:39 am
ashliefghij BRONZE, Alexandria, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
I read this book in 8th grade and I loved it, I actually still have the copy and I think I'm planning on reading it again. There is also a kind of sequel to this book, but I don't remember the name of it. Anyway, I enjoyed this :]