The Imposter's Daughter by Laurie Sandell | Teen Ink

The Imposter's Daughter by Laurie Sandell

By GraceCarrillo SILVER, Thornton, CO, Colorado
GraceCarrillo SILVER, Thornton, CO, Colorado

This is an “All about Life” kind of novel. An imposter for a father, a life of lies, and to top it off, the struggle of a woman’s life all in one story. A young child’s god-like figure has secrets as well, but if you make your whole life a secret, who are you really? The Imposter’s Daughter is interesting. As you read Laurie Sandell’s search about her father’s life, and go through the motions with her words you find the difficult things a person can go through. Not knowing what’s to come, she bumps into phases and relationships while being experimental. As she does everything she can to learn more about her father, she begins to lose herself into addiction and selfishness. Traveling for her job, she seems to talk about her father to bring up conversation. The more she tells, the more people seem to be interested in her and support her as well. As she travels for all the things she searches for, she finds out a couple other secrets as well.
     With the story of her life being so interesting I left mine to read hers. Sometimes you read, and feel the connection. “My mother tried to make up for my father’s judgments.” Laurie’s emotions spread on paper, it makes you feel like you really can relate to her. Also, knowing that no matter what your life is like, you can get places and have an adventure, travel, and experience things you never thought you would. The Imposter’s Daughter just shows how fascinating and difficult life can be. I noticed how she seemed comfortable with telling her and her family’s stories. As a reader it felt like she was there in person just talking to me about her problems and I like how drawn I can be to a book. I find it interesting that our lives are completely different, but I can find little things about her life that are similar in mine. Going through a woman’s life is more difficult than people imagine, this might help people understand that. The Imposter’s Daughter is for people who like life stories with a twist. It can also be for the people who like to read graphic novels and an indecisive love for people. Mainly because Laurie just isn’t sure, and has a life story like no other.